VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to make cookies and found that SOMEBODY had used all of the egg replacer, so I used flax seeds for the first time and the cookies came out great.

I used my new spice grinder...ground up the seeds, then used 1 T for each egg plus 2 T water. Easy!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't like the taste of the egg replacer so I always use ground flax seed to replace eggs in my baking. I got my coffee grinder at Kmart. I don't drink coffee so I never had one before I became vegan and started all this fun interesting cooking.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FemmeDemonica, mine is really a coffee grinder, too and it was very inexpensive. (Don't use it for coffee beans though, because it would leave the flavor behind.) I think my husband got it at Wal-Mart.

I use it a lot...it is great for grinding up all kinds of spices. I was always intimidated by flaxseeds, too. But, last night I had no choice. I doubt that I will ever buy egg replacer, again...I can't believe that I waited so long!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Wow... that's pretty cool. I never would have thought that flax seeds could substitute for eggs. Do milled flax seeds that I can buy from the bulk department of the local store work the same way as the fresh-ground flax seeds? I'm not sure if there's a chemical breakdown that happens while it sits or not.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Skylark, I remember reading somewhere (although now I can't remember where) that with the bulk milled flax seeds you're supposed to boil them down in a particular ratio to water. This apparently creates a flax "goo" that you strain through cheesecloth and the strained stuff is what you'd actually use for egg replacer.

Mushroom, your version seems...much simpler.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm all about simple. I have no idea where the cheesecloth got to anyway. It might have been pitched after the failed grapejuice experiment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts