VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that flax seed oil is good for you.......so, what are the health benefits? Does it come in pill form? If so, is it hard to find a vegan version in pill form?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It contains omega-3 fatty acids which are good for your heart health and aren't available from many other veggie sources. I've never used flax seed oil, but I use flax seed meal all the time on my cereal, in baked goods, as egg replacement, etc. The nice thing about the seed meal is that you also get the benefits of fiber, which you don't get from the oil.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I doubt the oil would be available in pill form, as it degrades quickly and has to be refrigerated (the seeds go rancid quickly as well). But it's a delicious additive to food: you shouldn't cook it, but it can be used in salad dressing, or drizzled over cooked food like baked potatoes, rice, pretty much anything. Or you can put the ground seeds in smoothies or sprinkle them over whatever you're already eating (they have to be ground if you want the omega-3s and soluable fiber). The seeds have a pleasant nutty taste and the oil has an earthier flavor than olive oil.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Omega-3 is important for the nervous system. Many people (especially vegans) are deficient so it's a worthwhile thing to consider.

The pills are impracticle and expensive because you need to take too many of them (five 1g pills) to get your daily dosage of omega-3. Most people either take the oil or use the seeds. The seeds must be ground or they will just pass through your body. It's best to buy the unground seeds and grind them yourself in a coffee grinder; that way they stay fresh longer. I use 2 tbsp of the seeds per day (2 tbsp before they are ground).

Our bodies convert the omega-3 in flax seeds to 2 other forms of omega-3: DHA and EPA. These convertions take place more efficiently when we don't overconsume omega-6. But, many vegans consume too much omega-6 so you might also want to look into that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
About cooking the seeds, almost all the sources I've read said that it's OK to use the seeds in baked items and the omega-3 isn't damaged. But, if you want to be safe you could just eat them raw.

To me, both the oil and raw seeds have a nasty taste. When my wife tried eating the raw seeds she got diarrhea. But, when I incorporate them in muffins she doesn't have any problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
flax is used to relieve constipation.. so watch how much you eat.

i usually put the oil (often a blend such as udo's oil) in my smoothies. you cant taste it. i also put it in my pasta and salad dressing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
janette;

Quote:
flax is used to relieve constipation.. so watch how much you eat.
That's true; eatting too many might cause diarrhea. But in my wife's case, when she ate the raw flax seeds, she ate 2 tbsp (30 ml). This is the exact same amount that I put into each muffin. She eats the muffins all the time without any problems; in fact, she has commented that the muffins seem to improve the functioning of her system. But, her system doesn't like the raw ground seeds.

She has no problem taking 2 tsp of flax oil, which has the same amount of omega-3 as 2 tbsp of the seeds. We have been getting omega-3 mainly from the oil and flax muffins and sometimes we get it from walnuts. I've been thinking about trying flax oil in a smoothy. I'm going to try it probably in the next few days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
kyo, in a smoothie is my absolute favorite way. the ingredients in the muffins must counter-act the effects of the flax seed.. or maybe its cause theyre cooked. interesting.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Flax seed oil however doesn´t cause diarrhea. 1-2 tablespoon sof ground flax seeds per day should be enough. omega-3-fatty acids are also good against high cholesterol, prevent heart disease and blood clotting (effect on platelets as well as rheology), and many more. Walnut oil also contains considerable amounts of omega-3s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts