VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently watched vh1's 100 greatest songs of the past 25 years and after some commercial breaks they had some artists list off five songs which changed their lives. I thought I'd share my list with you people...

1. Open Your Eyes by Goldfinger --- caused me to buy the CD and because of the CD became vegetarian.

2. Imagine by John Lennon --- I really love this song, John Lennon is fantastic and this made me a big fan. Plus it's all about equality and peace... I really dig it

3. Rock Steady by Aretha Franklin --- opened my mind up to different kinds of music when I was being a narrow minded alternative music junkie, plus it brought me closer to my dad.

4. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana --- great video, great song, got me into alternative music.

5. Chop Suey! by System of a Down --- First SOAD song I ever heard and loved, got me into System. I've loved them ever since.

Thanks for reading... I'd like to hear five songs that have changed your life...

Kate~

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cool topic. No way I could pick only 5 - I feel like music has been changing my life my whole life.
So I guess I'll go with 5 that have changed my life most recently (in no particular order):

Norah Jones: "I've Got To See You Again" - This song made me finally take notice of this woman's music, and man am I glad I did. I had discounted her as not my thing, but since I bought the cd I've been drifting off to sleep happily for many nights now.

Jesse Malin: "Brooklyn" - A great New York song by a great New York artist. Made me get out and catch a midnight show on a weeknight - something I hadn't done in a really long time!

Ryan Adams: "Dear Chicago" - Don't even know what to say about this one. Pure brilliance. Such a great sad song, and I really dig the whole woman-as-city metaphor (which he's used in a couple of his songs).

White Stripes: "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" - Ok, I know this is a cover, but it really threw me for a loop the first time I heard it. Had to listen to it repeatedly for days on end. Aren't those songs great?!

Tori Amos: "Carbon" - Again, not much I can even say about this one. Left me speechless for months.

Hey, this was fun!
Wonder what I'd come up with if I thought back further...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, good question but one that will drive me insane with options!

1. Mountain - "Dreams of Milk & Honey/Swan Song Theme" from the live album. I chose this one because I learned all the Leslie West guitar licks when I was a kid trying to play. Even today when I hear that jam medley crank up it still gives me the warm fuzzies . . . .

2. Johnny Winter - "Rock Me Baby". Actually, that entire "Still Alive and Well" lp showed me what blues/rock was all about as well as how an American power trio could truly step up and be an absolute FORCE.

3. Robin Trower - the entire "Bridge of Sighs" lp. This one (and Twice Removed From Yesterday as well) accompanied me through countless altered states and really contributed to my "enlightenment" as a bluesman. What an outstanding recording!

4. Al Green - "Best Of". What a sex prelude! With that lp and a case of wine even Shreck could get laid. EVERY tune on that one causes me to wax nostalgic and contemplate what once was . . .

5. Crosby Stills Nash & Young - "Deja Vu". This (along with Neil Young's "Harvest" ) is really a timeless masterpiece that has accompanied me through many of life's trials and tribulations.

Ackk, just FIVE???

·
Registered
431 Posts
too many to pick from...

The Mothball - Augie March

Sober - Tool

Lonesome Tears - Beck

Exit Music (for a film) - Radiohead

Mayonaise - The Smashing Pumpkins

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Great topic!

I don't know if I can narrow it down to 5, but here goes...

"Instant Karma" by John Lennon. It's a great song and it kept me from harming myself and others due to a nasty case of traffic-induced road rage. Song came on and I was instantly soothed. Awesome song.

The side 2 medley on Abbey Road by The Beatles. This has been known to reduce me to tears b/c it's so beautiful in a wacky kind of way.

"Channel Z" by the B-52's. First B'52's song I heard and I was instantly hooked and now the B's are one of my all-time favorite bands.

"Chocolate Cake" by Crowded House. I had their first album on cassette, but hadn't listened to it in forever. Saw the "Chocolate Cake" video and went out immediately and bought the CD. I've been a huge Crowded House fan ever since.

The entire Best Of Simon and Garfunkel. My friends and I listened to this constantly in high school. The night before a bunch of us left for college, we went down to our high school and sat around in the parking lot of the art museum next door (I went to high school downtown) and listened to Simon and Garfunkel. When a cop came to tell us we had to leave b/c we were on private property in the middle of the night, we told him that we were all leaving the next day and he let us stay.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
queen of my soul by average white band

solidarity by black uhuru

it's house by chip e

be ever wonderful by earth, wind and fire

self destruction by all uh dem

ok...here's the unsolicited #6 - beasts of no nation by fela kuti...yeah...like that...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upside Down--A*Teens

Fat Lip --Sum41 (dont ask why)

Marilyn Manson-- Disposable Teens

Us Against The World-- Play

En Hemlighet--E.M.M.A.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by muppetcow

It's a great song and it kept me from harming myself and others due to a nasty case of traffic-induced road rage. Song came on and I was instantly soothed. Awesome song.
Now *that* is life-changing!
I need more songs like that in my life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts