VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the "things I would never have imagined" files:

Quote:
Some ice cream manufacturers are adding a fish antifreeze protein produced by a genetically engineered organism to their low fat ice cream to increase its smoothness. A gene, originating in the arctic Pout fish, codes for an ice structuring protein which causes smaller ice crystals to be foremed when freezing. The protein is the product of genetically modified yeast, in which DNA containing a gene from the fish, the Ocean Pout (Zoarces americanus) has been spliced into yeast using the tools of recombinant DNA technology. [Here is another image of the pout.] The yeast then generates the ice structuring protein which Unilever Corporation harvests and has been marketing to ice cream manufacturers. The antifreeze protein, when added to low fat ice cream, makes the crystals in the ice cream smaller, and therefore smoother.
I guess the good news is that the actual protein used in the ice cream is made by genetically modified yeast, not harvested from fish.

But the bad news is that this stuff is already on the shelves at U.S. grocery stores. If you've eaten Breyer's Double Churned lite ice cream, then you've eaten the protein. I'm pretty sure I have - yuck.

A couple of actual news stories on this subject are here and here.

Thank god for Soy Cream (but please don't tell me that it has the fish protein, too...).

11,550 Posts
there seems to be a bit of a theme with putting weird fish related stuff into other food stuff.

i remember in the late 90's they put fish genes into tomatoes for a while, to try and make them frost resistant... and they voluntarily labelled genetically modified tomato products in the shelves in the UK. it went down like a lead balloon with consumers, and the media frenzy which ensued meant the GM tomato products were pulled from the shelves, never to resurface.

i guess breyers isn't being so forthcoming and labelling their product as containing a weird fish yeast ice crystal structuring thingy?

thinking about how weirded out the brits got about our food being messed with like this in the 90's, i begin to wonder how many americans would actually care about it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

vitamin d3 is added to milk. d3 is fish scales or bones ground up into a powder.
Does anyone know more about this or have some good links? I did some searching, and I found a bunch of contradictory statements about where the D3 comes from and what products it's found in. One site said it's from animal skins. Another said that it's from sheep's wool and, therefore, doesn't involve killing any animals. I didn't find anything that looked particularly authoritative or trustworthy.

I'd be really curious to know what's up with this. I've been inching towards being vegan for a while now - this could push me over the edge.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriole View Post

Does anyone know more about this or have some good links? I did some searching, and I found a bunch of contradictory statements about where the D3 comes from and what products it's found in. One site said it's from animal skins. Another said that it's from sheep's wool and, therefore, doesn't involve killing any animals. I didn't find anything that looked particularly authoritative or trustworthy.

I'd be really curious to know what's up with this. I've been inching towards being vegan for a while now - this could push me over the edge.
Hi, I don't think the info. you found is necessarily contradictory. The bottom line is that D2 comes from a variety of plant sources while D3 comes from a variety of animal sources. For any given product, I don't think you can necessarily be sure what the specific source of the D3 is without going to the manufacturer. Your safest bet is to avoid anything fortified with D3, and that apparently includes certain soymilks, such as 8th continent:

http://www.vegparadise.com/news19.html

If you follow the link given above, there is a quote from the book 'Becoming Vegan' that discusses the various possible sources of D3.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

vitamin d3 is added to milk. d3 is fish scales or bones ground up into a powder.
I wish people wouldn't make blanket statements like this with no back-up. It actually makes things worse for vegetarians in the end.

D3 generally comes from lanolin or is synthetically produced, although it can come from other sources. Not all milk as added D3 either.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Fluid milk, though, in the US is required to be fortified with Vitamin A, and my understanding is that cod liver oil is the usual source.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts