VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I understand, overcrowding, poor water quality, pH and temperature changes, etc. are a huge stress factor for this fish, so yes, it is very cruel.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I've never seen fish pedicures here and I hope I never do.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen many of the in the UK and in France. They could be compared to force feeding of ducks and geese.

I'm sure that they forced to do this all day long and have serious digestive problems.

It just beats me that these things get official authorisation using animals, for beauty treatments.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Gross!! The poor fish! Set them free! And WHO wants to have fish who just ate some other person's foot skin on their feet anyway?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Repeated netting of fish strips the protective slime cost from them, leaving the fish open to illness. Having a hundred fish in a tub that small creates high ammonia and pH fluctuations which are deadly to the fish. Besides, where are these fish housed inbetween 'feasts'? In an appropriate sized, filtered and heated tank? I don't think so. I'm a fish nerd, and I can say with no doubt that this is cruel and needs to end. I'm going to look up every salon online that does this and email them about their cruelty and urge them to do away with this.

Edit: apparently this doesn't happen in Colorado and I'm having trouble finding salons that practice this. But the search goes on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There are lots of these where I live. I agree that they're cruel and most likely unhygienic; I'm glad I've never been to one!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

There are lots of these where I live. I agree that they're cruel and most likely unhygienic; I'm glad I've never been to one!
Yes, they are popular in the UK. What beats me is that only us lot think that it is cruel to force fish to eat people's dirty feet.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That's because everyone else thinks it's ok to eat them anyway so they're unlikely to give a hoot about their living conditions.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If the fish can be healthy eating dead skin, and enjoy that food, I don't have a problem with it as far as that goes. I second the concerns about water quality for the fish in this situation though, and doubt that the people running these salons (or patronizing them) care about the fishes' well-being.

So yeah- a thumbs-down from me.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

If the fish can be healthy eating dead skin, and enjoy that food, I don't have a problem with it as far as that goes. I second the concerns about water quality for the fish in this situation though, and doubt that the people running these salons (or patronizing them) care about the fishes' well-being.

So yeah- a thumbs-down from me.
I wouldn't have hoped otherwise LOL

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I think this is so disgusting. I thought that people were warned against this "beauty treatment" because of the spread of infection.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, apparently you can catch HIV and othr germs from the fish. So that would also mean the the poor mites are being contaminated too !

I bet that they are fed neither and that is the reason why they go wild at the sight of those ugle feet. Who cares for them on Sundays ? Many questions unanswered. Most people say 'they're on fish. Why does it bother you ? Hum !

It just beats me that this kind of 'beauty treatment' got the go ahead from authorities.

Someone somewhere isn't doing what they are paid to do!

Why it is wrong to exploit fish in these conditions :

http://www.theecologist.org/blogs_an...pedicures.html

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yup, it was popular here. Luckily it is rapidly losing popularity as the news of how unhygienic it is is spreading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts