VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been a vegetarian for nearly two months.

Let me say that I've never been happier and feel like I'm really doing something to help the world... even though I'm young. <33

So here's my question.

I don't eat fish... like, salmon and cod and stuff. But what about lobsters? And crab?

What about things like clams? I must admit that I do eat lots of clam chowder [yummy stuff] and every time I eat it, I wonder if its unethical. How are they treated? Do they feel?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I don't know about the rest, but lobsters feel pain: http://www.lobsterlib.com/fascinating.html#hurts

My gut feeling is that crabs must too, because I have seen them scurrying about and being scared of people and I can't imagine they would not. But I'm not sure.

I don't know about clams and the like.

I hope that the link above will help you to decide on these iddues. But please, if you eat fish or other sea creatures, don't call yourself a vegetarian. Vegetarians eat no meat, and fish is meat. 'Pescatarians' eat fish but no other meat; you may wish to adopt this label instead.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
the phrase 'other sea creatures' was intended to include clams.

In answer to your question, I found this which says

Quote:
Molluscs have a muscular foot, for crawling, a head, a a tongue-like structure, eyes, tentacles and sensory organs. They also have a heart, gills and an intestine. Research has shown that even the 'simplest' invertebrates exhibit responses to adverse stimuli (dangerous or painful situations). Creatures included in this research are sea anemones, earthworms, medicinal leeches, insects, gastropod snails and cephalopod molluscs, such as the octopus. Although the sensation of pain in such animals, and molluscs in general, cannot be proved, and the findings are scientificially inconclusive, many scientists suggest that it should be assumed that they are capable of feeling pain, and their well-being should therefore be promoted.
sorry that there doesn't seem to be anything more conclusive. You might want to read through that site a little further, I only skimmed it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Clams are not considered vegetarian either. The jury is out on whether they can feel pain, but they do react to stimulation. If it's in the animal kingdom, it's not vegetarian.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I'd say beauty is a nice reason, but living creature is more important as some fish might look ugly. Or let's talk about cockroaches, but actually I wouldn't them either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts