VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, tomorrow I have my first physical since going vegan. I've gone to this doctor before as a vegetarian (and she is a fellow vegetarian, so it was no biggie) but I seem to remember that she cautioned me about veganism. So what do I say to her if she tries to convince me and my father that veganism isn't healthy, and what shots should I look out for? As in, which shots are cultured in eggs like the flu shot is, or whatever? I know that filler materials being non-veg is not exactly avoidable.

And with the shots thing, I just want to know because often they give the papers to look at that say "this shot is not entirely neccessary" and if it isn't and is also non-vegan, then I don't want animals to be harmed for my sake.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I don't bother telling my doctors about my dietary choices. Then again, I just go to a walk in clinic, with a specific complaint- not to a family doctor.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Most of the flu shots are cultured in eggs, but not all and there definetely are alternatives. But why would you need a flu shot????

·
Registered
122 Posts
tell her it's none of her business! She's there to offer you medical advice, not to tell you how to run your life!

Don't know about flu shots, sorry, but I would never bother with that sort of thing myself.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'd treat it like any other doctor's appointment, not mentioning your dietary preferences. If you're concerned about anything in particular, then of course bring it up, but otherwise don't go spoiling for a debate.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A good family doctor SHOULD review your diet with you at an annual physical. How else is the guy who eats hamburgers and fries all the time ever going to be held accountable? His doctor should tell him his diet is unhealthy. Besides, if the OP is really concerned about the content of shots, she would have to discuss dietary limitations.

Somehow I doubt a vegetarian doctor is going to think veganism is impossible. Just explain what you supplement (B12 etc) and how you balance your diet.

Heck, my doctor asks if I wear my seatbelt and writes it down!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Print off this page and have it handy in case she gives you a hard time*. Be prepared to tell her what you are eating to make up for the lack of dairy/eggs. Keep in mind that she is concerned because she wants you to be healthy, so if you can show her that you are healthy, she should have no problem. She shouldn't give you too hard of a time over it.

Regarding the shots, just ask her which ones are really necessary, and then make your decisions from there. I haven't had a vaccine in ages! If they are recommending something you may already be immune to, you have the option of getting a blood test to see if you have the antibodies to that disease (and hence should be immune to it).

Good luck

*Note that is just the abstract, you can view the entire article but cannot print iit off unless you have an ADA membership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts