VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am coming from my first warehouse shopping trip with a vegetarian lifestyle in mind and I must say it was weird (and cheaper). As I was passing by whole sections of food, it dawned on me how much of the grocery store/warehouse club is devoted to meat. The other thing I noticed is how much healthier my choices were...I brought a lot of whole grain cereals, ethnic food, and even nuts. Having a peanut allergy, I never venture into the dried fruit/nut aisle but today I did and found a trail mix that was mostly dried fruit and almonds that was NOT processed in a peanut facility. The guy who checked me out even commented on my healthy choices. Wow! I am really excited about this journey and just had to share.

Ellie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congratulations!
I think you made the right choice, your body will thank you too.

It is nice how buying vegetarian staples are much cheaper than omni staples! Fake meats and stuff are expensive, but the basic things like rice, beans, fruits, veggies, are very cheap!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds like you had a great experience. I always love the comments I get from whomever is running the checkout... my choices always seem to draw attention.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That is so exciting Ellie!!! Wow, starting on a healthy, compassionate diet! I'm reading a book right now on how those who have heart attacks are recommended to go on a pretty much vegan diet and as long as they make low-fat choices they can eat as much as they want. And they lose weight.

The book is called Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease. His finding are even published in the American Medical Association Journal.

So stick to your new diet and you'll be far less likely to get a heart attack. And the animals won't die either. Well, not prematurely anyway. Well, not because of you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's pretty cool. I spend most of my shopping trips in the tiny but good natural foods section. Vegetarianism isn't huge up here, but the section has grown even since I've moved here (4 years ago). But yeah, I get odd looks from the check out people.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Congrats on the change over! I love warehouse shopping, there are so many great foods that are just crying to be bought in bulk.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

hehe, welcome to the club! Just wait until you begin to notice what's in everyone else's cart!
Oh good! It's not just me. I'm such a cart snoop. You can learn so much about people from what they buy for food. No wonder a lot of magazines list the grocery store as a number one pick-up spot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I came on here to post a similar reply. I've been vegan for a little over a week now. I had gotten a little depressed and was feeling overwhelmed until I found a co-op here that had all the ingredients and vegan foodstuffs that everyone on here was suggesting. I came home and had the best meals ever. After my meatless hamburger with sauteed mushrooms and vegan cheese, I actually pumped my fist in the air

"THIS IS SO GOOD! YAY ME!!!!"

and later I made tofu tacos for my boyfriend who is a meat lover and they were declicious

"DOUBLE YAY ME!!!"

I had started thinking it was going to be too hard, and food was never going to be easy to make or taste good....

but I was wrong, and "they" are wrong.

HOORAY FOR US!

·
Registered
231 Posts
the best tip I got about the tacos was to drain, freeze, then thaw a block of firm tofu. It gave it a consistency close to that of ground beef. So all I did was pour a packet of taco seasoning (with a tiny bit of water) into a pan, then crumbled the tofu into it. You can buy a taco kit with the shells and the flavor packet. It was about 10 minutes of easy cooking. Then I topped them with vegan sour cream (that someone suggested on here that tasted so good), lettuce, and minced onions.

BLISS!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheesaidshe View Post

the best tip I got about the tacos was to drain, freeze, then thaw a block of firm tofu. It gave it a consistency close to that of ground beef. So all I did was pour a packet of taco seasoning (with a tiny bit of water) into a pan, then crumbled the tofu into it. You can buy a taco kit with the shells and the flavor packet. It was about 10 minutes of easy cooking. Then I topped them with vegan sour cream (that someone suggested on here that tasted so good), lettuce, and minced onions.

BLISS!
Mind you read the ingredients of the taco seasoning packet. Many contain chicken fat or other animal ingredients.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i know! I notice so much more now. Especially those tv ads saying to drink low fat/nonfat milk every day helps you lose weight.

What nonsense! (distorted, of course)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's funny what you notice when you pay attention and for an update on my vegetarianism...I was catching up on my reading and saw an article in the Wash Post about the cow they created from a steak...Needless to say I am now going cold tofurkey.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheesaidshe View Post

and later I made tofu tacos for my boyfriend who is a meat lover and they were declicious

"DOUBLE YAY ME!!!"
Isn't that the best feeling? I love when I make a veg*n dinner for my BF (meat eater) and I, and he raves about how good the food is.

Congrats, Ellie, on your veggie food choices! Way to go!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts