VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya!! I'm a vegetarian; however, when I move out I plan to become vegan. Nonetheless, many of the choices I make are vegan, and I'm hoping that I can learn myself (while sharing with others) the deliciousness of vegan food.

That being said, I found a delicious dessert I would like to make for my omni boyfriend's birthday. (I don't plan on telling him it's vegan until his eyes open at its deliciousness!
) I'll post the recipe. I need advice on two things after:

* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups (210 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 (11.5 oz) bag milk chocolate chips

a) Besides the ingredients with asterisks, are there any others that can be veganized that I don't know about?
b) What places in Toronto can these be bought? Whole Foods? The Big Carrot? I just want to buy the vegan the ingredients, not cookies that they already made there.

THANKS!! I'm excited.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just saw this now, hopefully his birthday hasn't passed. Yes the big carrot will sell what you need. Just look for a margarine that is vegan. Earth's balance is good. 1 table spoon of corn starch = 1 egg. I'm sure the big carrot will sell vegan chocolate chips. It will be dark chocolate instead of milk. If they don't look for a vegan chocolate bar and just crush it up into chocolate chunks. I'm from just outside Toronto so I've only been to the big carrot once, but I felt like I was in heaven. Its a shame Panacea closed - it was an amazing all vegan grocery store.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! So funny that you should reply now, because I actually went TODAY and got what I needed ! :) Earth Balance shortening sticks from the Big Carrot and vegan choco chips from the Whole Foods market. Thanks for the response! I'm going to bake these babies up tomorrow. . . I'm just so excited for my first guilt-free recipe!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It went AMAZINGLY well. He didn't know! After a while I said "You won't believe this. . ." and he goes, "They're vegan?!". Haha-- SUCCESS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts