VeggieBoards banner

First Post

809 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Invictus 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've just joined VeggieBoards.I'm 18 y.o.,living in Poland (central Europe) and I'm vegetarian for 2 and half year,also interested in ecology,animal rights and supporting organizations of such activity (and not only).My main hobby is music - I listen to many different genres,and like to find new ones.

I may make some mistakes in ortography or spelling,but I think You won't have any problems with understanding my english

Well,I think that's all - Greetings!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! What kind of Polish vegetarian food is there? I'm half Polish and thought it would be nice to learn to cook some foods from my background. All I can think of is vegetarian pierogies and saurkraut.

Fortunately I live in a city with a large Polish population, and during lent you can get these gourmet vegetarian pierogies at the West Side Market. I haven't tried them yet, but they sound awesome. Not sure they are traditional Polish, though.

Pierogi palace- http://piepal.com/welcome.ftml

#5 ·
Pieroges ARE awesome - You should try
(With mushrooms for Christmas,sauerkraut,buckwheat,or sweet - with apples,strawberries,plums,cherries..mm..).

Yes,they are traditional in Poland - also in Belarus,Ukraine and Russia.Funny thing - pieroges with mixed cottage cheese and potatoes (one of the best) in Poland are called "russian pieroges",and in Russia are known as "polish pieroges".

Other interesting polish dishes are pickled cucumbers,cucumber soup, "golumbki" (buckwheat with f.e. mushrooms tucked with stewed cabbage leaves) , "lazanki" (squared pasta with boiled cabbage) , polish croquettes (totally different than french and any other - polish are pancakes in crumbs with boiled or stewed cabbage inside),Borscht (red soup including beet roots).

There's a good aricle "Polish cuisine" on Wikipedia - but don't get discouraged by meat dishes,in many of them meat is an needless ingredient.

If You want any recipes - I can try translating it to english and posting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.