VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/1...OPrTbps.reddit

Quote:
The worlds first test-tube meat, a hamburger made from a cows stem cells, will be produced this fall, Dutch scientist Mark Post told a major science conference on Sunday.
Posts aim is to invent an efficient way to produce skeletal muscle tissue in a laboratory that exactly mimics meat, and eventually replace the entire meat-animal industry.
The ingredients for his first burger are still in a laboratory phase, he said, but by fall we have committed ourselves to make a couple of thousand of small tissues, and then assemble them into a hamburger.
Post, chair of physiology at Maastricht University in the Netherlands, said his project is funded with 250,000 euros from an anonymous private investor motivated by care for the environment, food for the world, and interest in life-transforming technologies.
Post spoke at a symposium titled The Next Agricultural Revolution at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Vancouver.
Speakers said they aim to develop such meat products for mass consumption to reduce the environmental and health costs of conventional food production.
Conventional meat and dairy production requires more land, water, plants and disposal of waste products than almost all other human foods, they said.
The global demand for meat is expected to rise by 60 percent by 2050, said American scientist Nicholas Genovese, who organized the symposium.
But the majority of earths pasture lands are already in use, he said, so conventional livestock producers can only meet the booming demand by further expansion into nature.
The result would be lost biodiversity, more greenhouse and other gases, and an increase in disease, he said.
In 2010 a report by the United Nations Environment Program called for a global vegetarian diet.
Animal farming is by far the biggest ongoing global catastrophe, Patrick Brown of the Stanford University School of Medicine told reporters.
More to the point, its incredibly ready to topple its inefficient technology that hasnt changed fundamentally for millennia, he said.
Theres been a blind spot in the science and technology community (of livestock production) as an easy target.
Very interesting. I personally have no interest in eating anything made with cow stem cells, but if this can help lower the demand for meat and shut down slaughterhouses I'm all for it.

I'll stick with fully plant based meat substitutes myself though, or just go ahead and eat the plants as is

Also, what a surprise the meat industry has shown no interest in a discovery that could potentially spell the end of everything for them

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
No thanks. I'm holding out for the catburger, as - like so many others - I've replaced chicken with cat.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

No thanks. I'm holding out for the catburger, as - like so many others - I've replaced chicken with cat.
I admire your commitment against speciesism.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I admire your commitment against speciesism.
why thank you. I pride myself on my consistent brutality towards all animals alike.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ew.

The first thing that came to mind for me was that people will eat this, get sick with some disease like cancer, and wonder "why me?"

I dislike it when science tries to mess with the natural world. It seems super sketchy.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Why is this always about making food for people?
I want that for my cats.
My domestic cats that live me in safety.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I saw something on tv one day that I thought was interesting. A Texas rancher had taken an almost extinct species of animal and raised them on his 100 acre ranch. I guess he was allowing hunters to hunt them and had some backlash from the animal rights community. His argument for allowing it was that if he was not doing what he was doing, then that particular animal would become extinct. I have seen arguments like this for other animals. If there is no demand for animals then nobody will spend the money to take care of them and they will go extinct. I have no idea if any of this is true, but it raises an interesting question. Is it better to allow a species to go extinct and die out of natural causes or sacrifice a percentage to allow many more to live? I don't know enough to have an opinion, but it is an interesting scenario. If the demand for grass fed meat were no longer be around, then would there no longer be fields for these animals to graze and more would actually die? Obviously, I don't support any cruelty to animals, but if more could live from being a food source for people, is it better in the overall scheme of things? Again, I am not making an argument either way, but it is interesting to think about.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Since there was no life ended in the process to produce the meat, I'd have to qualms with eating it. My choices are mostly based on not taking life away from other beings.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I see nothing gross about it. I think it's great. I love it when science messes around with the natural world if it's for good ends.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

If we ate this lab grown "meat", would we still be veg*ns? I don't think we would be.
Nor do I. We'd have to change our name to "synthetic omni's" or something.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Ew.

The first thing that came to mind for me was that people will eat this, get sick with some disease like cancer, and wonder "why me?"

I dislike it when science tries to mess with the natural world. It seems super sketchy.
This.
On one side I love the thought of less animal cruelty. But I worry greatly about the health of people who decide to eat this stuff. Just as many countries are beginning to see some health problems associated with GMOs (some have even banned them completely), it took years to see that there was an issue. People eating this would likely be fine for a while, but it could take years for health issues because of it to manifest.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I wonder, if this takes off, would someone who ate it be allowed on this forum.
the existing members would be grandfathered in like the other omnis on this forum.

·
Registered
585 Posts
According to the article, animals would still be killed in order to produce the synthetic meat..therefore still not veg*n.

that and the ew factor.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts