VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a set of vintage Noritake on craigslist yesterday. It was from a couple in their late 40s who'd never even used them after they'd inherited the set from her grandmother. 12 settings with the hostesss set for just $50! I'm going to be dining like a queen over here
Well...once I figure out what all these pieces are actually for

noritake china by vigilant20, on Flickr

Do you use china every day...or would you if it was this reasonably priced? Do you know of a good guide for serving with china? My google powerz have failed me on this one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That set is very similar to the set I inherited from my grandmother. I have to admit that the fact that it was made using animal bones gives me pause every time I use it now, but it's a family heirloom and I can't imagine giving it up.

The only other drawback to using that type of china on a daily basis is that you can't put it in the dishwasher and it does need to be handled gently because it chips easily.

Not sure what you're looking for when you say a "guide for serving with china"?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fine, I don't have a dishwasher anyway

I meant maybe about how to properly set a table? Or maybe a for dummies type rundown of what all these pieces are? I guess I can figure out most of them. The plates would be dinner, salad, roll, and the smallest is the cups saucer. There's a soup bowl but then a small bowl I'm not sure about. I know what I'd use the serving set for, but not necessarily what they are called or meant to be used for

·
Registered
324 Posts
Starting in the front and working around clockwise, they are called:

Large platter
Sugar and creamer
Small platter
Vegetable bowl
Soup tureen
Gravy boat (in the middle)
Tea cups and saucers
Dinner plate
Salad plate
Dessert plate
Soup bowl
Berry bowl (I use these for ice cream or sorbet)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been dining in style over here
Tofurkeys were already out at the co-op so I got two this year. One to freeze until Thanksgiving, and one for a pre-Thanksgiving feast this week to break in the new/old china

3902474470 by vigilant20, on Flickr

So happy about this find! Especially after I looked at walmart.com for an idea of how to price my old Corelle when I listed it on craigslist. A 4 place setting set is $50!

·
Registered
324 Posts
BTW vigilant20, if you were looking to replace a single dinner plate of that quality 1920s Noritake china, you'd probably pay roughly $25-$30 for just the dinner plate. So you really did score big time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts