VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a few ingredients for a while now, and it only *just* occurred to me to check the internet.

First, I want a good stock powder. Better than Boullion makes a delicious moist paste, but it's expensive and must be refrigerated. There are a bunch of cheap vegetarian low-sodium powders at my health food store, but they're ALL really bland. I've heard wonderful things about Marigold Swiss, but I can't find the vegan/low-sodium version anywhere in the States!

I'm also looking for a cheese powder. I've tried vegan kinds and dairy-based kinds, and I cannot find anything even remotely good for you that's worth eating.

We've been slowly cutting out unhealthy and/or animal products from our diet, but because we live to eat, I don't make a switch until we've found something we like just as much. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
the best stock is homemade, hands down. in addition, then you'll know what goes in it. get a huge stock pot, and then freeze it in portions. you'll be happy you did.

i use nutritional yeast and make homemade cheese sauces.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Best stock like Laurie said is homemade.

I tend to save bits and pices to make my stock with, the ends of leeks,the skins of potatos the tops and ends of celery and carrotts .

The tops and bottums as well as skins of onions and so on and so forth, that way there is no waste and I get a great veggie stock!

I just keep a ziplock bag in the freezer and toss bits and pieces in as I cook, when I get a bag full I make stock to freeze

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
this is the BEST "chicken" broth I've ever had:

Quote:
BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE VEGAN CHICKEN-STYLE BROTH POWDER

makes about 1 and 1/2 C.

Blend in a dry blender:

1 and 1/3 c. good-tasting nutritional yeast flakes

3 T. onion powder

2 and 1/2 T. sea salt

2 and 1/2 tsp. garlic granules or powder

1 T. soymilk powder

1 T. white beet sugar

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. finely crumbled dried sage (NOT powdered)

1 tsp. paprika

1/2 tsp. tumeric

Store in an airtight container and use 1 level tablespoon per cup of water.
http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginn...es/144197.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts