VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/...-bear-farming/

Quote:
The practice is gruesome enough that hundreds of thousands of Chinese have attacked the pharmaceutical company Guizhentang with online complaints over the firms plans to triple the size of its bear-bile farms through a public offering of shares on the Shenzhen stock exchange. The company said it currently farms about 400 bears.
The company also said its Web site was hacked last Saturday, one hour after it posted an invitation for the public to visit its bear farm.
Outrage does seem to be growing in China. The former N.B.A. star Yao Ming recently visited and endorsed a sanctuary run by the Animals Asia Foundation near Chengdu, in Sichuan Province. The group estimates that about 20,000 black bears are kept on about 100 bile farms in China.
The Ta Foundation, a private animal welfare group, recently submitted a petition to the Chinese regulatory authorities signed by 72 public figures, including Ding Junhui, a famous Chinese snooker player, Chen Danqing, a well-known painter, and Cui Yongyuan, a TV host.
The comedian Ricky Gervais also has been a longtime supporter of campaigns to stop bile farms. Earlier this month a rescue bear he sponsored died.
I'm going to be honest, I skimmed this article a bit. Harvesting bear bile is so gruesome and disgusting I can't even focus on it for too long without wanting to cry or throw up

I'm just trying to look on the bright side and I feel relieved that people are at least starting to rise up and do something about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wasn't able to stop crying when I first read about bile farming, it's so horrible
I'm glad there's organizations such as Animals Asia Foundation and that they're able to rescue some of the bears imprisoned in these terrible conditions. I'm part of their "Befriend a Bear" program, but they also have a gift shop where you can purchase specific gifts for the bears in their care (such as food, furniture, toys, or medical services). Then they also have bear sponsorship programs, where you can sponsor one of the rescue bears for $45 a month. Sometimes these situations feel so hopeless, but even if it's happening in another country, at least we're able to have some influence by supporting organizations such as AAF and informing others about what's happening to animals there. It's also great that there are protests against this in China, and I really hope there will be more widespread awareness on this issue.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Oh, hells bells!

I remember something about this from a long time ago.

It was one of the things that helped push me from vegetarian to vegan.

Like it was so appalling that it made me aware that products attained through killing animals are often less cruel than those attained by keeping an animal alive.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Same here; I always get upset when I read articles about animals that suffer. However will be signing all the necessary petitions.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Following this, a spokesperson for the Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine has declared that harvesting organs from bears was natural, that bears didn't feel (the) pain and that they were actually very comfortable.

Also, one of my students told me about the "magical properties" associated with TCM, so I don't know if any of this is really going to be abolished any time soon...

(Don't know why organ is mentioned instead of bile, but perhaps it's a mistranslation)

·
Registered
245 Posts
They just showed some footage of this on the news. I felt sick and came here to see if you guys had already a thread about it. Indeed.

I am still surprised (how naif of me!) at the extend of human violence and harm.

I think the bear sponsoring is a great idea. I am going to check out Animals Asia a little more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts