VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have FFXII! My roommate and I are sharing it as a mutual Xmas gift. I started a game tonight and WOW. It appears to be a mix of FF9 and FF10 with some new stuff thrown in too.

I'm really liking the combat system so far. I always kind of got bored with the old turn-based method (though it was more convenient if you were doing other things at the same time) but the new way seems much more exciting.

Graphics are a big
so far. The plot seems to be fairly well-done.

Anybody playing XII? I know a few people here have mentioned it (ThirstyJohann and Elena99) so far so I hope they will pop in and talk about their experiences.

I was also thinking that maybe this thread could serve as a place where we could help one another if we get stuck, or provide hints (with spoiler tags, of course. it's no fun if anything's ruined)

Feel free to post whatever you want regarding FFXII!!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm scarcely even 45 min. into the game (been working on 2 computers trying to get them back up to snuff) but I can tell you that so far I really like it. The graphics are really nice and I like the live-action fight sequences as opposed to the traditional turn-based ones.

I've played all of them since VII (with the exception of XI) and loved them all so I'm sure I will probably really enjoy this one too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm about twenty-seven hours into the game, at Sochen Cave Place. Terrific game so far -- love the new battle system and license board. The plot isn't particularly interesting in comparison to VII or X, but the great characters make up for it.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I'm not really interested in XII after X. I couldn't stand the characters and their voices in X when I was watching my boyfriend play it. It also seemed like it was just one really long cut scene after another and I'm told it was totally linear.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
X was totally easy, except for the sidequests. It took basically no time to beat the game, though. I don't think that's gonna be the story with XII, however.

I'm still getting used to being able to pan the camera angle whereever I want, and the map.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

8, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12 are all good. Well, people complained about 8 and 10-2, but the rest are definitely good.
My friend and I got into one of our big geeky Final Fantasy conversations the other night. We decided that anyone who thought 8 wasn't good is insane

People complained a lot about 9, too. I just don't get it. I think people just like to complain

So I'm gonna throw some in!
I wasn't all that fond of 10. I've seen a whole lot of it, but playing it myself, I got 3 or 4 hours into it and lost interest. Granted, if I hadn't seen my friends play so much of it before and didn't already know where it was going, I might have been more into it, but.. I kind of doubt it. Most of the characters either kind of annoyed me or REALLY annoyed me (not to mention the voice acting), and with this sort of game, if I can't get into the characters, forget it. That they made a sequel baffles me.

Okay but this is a FFXII thread, and I haven't played any of that, so I'm just gonna shut up now

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mayu,

IMO, if you don't like playing blitzball, then FFX is not a fun game. For me, it all centered around blitzing. The card game sucked. Way better in FFIX. There was a distinct lack of moogles and chocobos too, which is teh suckiness.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Chocobos! I don't want to know how long I spent breeding and racing them. What's that evil black one's name? Finally I found the cheat so you can always beat him...

Not to MENTION the amount of time and effort I put into defeating Ruby and Emerald Weapon, and it doesn't even matter that much. Well you do get that cool Materia.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not a big gamer (I've played a total of... one before now) but so far I love FFXII. I was reluctant to start a new game (I was really attached to X. I'm a dork XD) But I'm glad I did. Only a few hours in, but I know I'll like it.

Who's ya'lls fav characters? So far it's a toss up between Fran and Balthier for me.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

My friend and I got into one of our big geeky Final Fantasy conversations the other night. We decided that anyone who thought 8 wasn't good is insane
Hmmm... I might be insane, the jury's still out. Actually, I just started playing FF8 a week or 2 ago. I was a big FF7 fan and still plan on going back to finish off a couple leftover weapons. But yeah, I'm finding it hard to get into 8, I just keep waiting for a plot. Plus I'm find whole junction shtuff a little confusing. I'm not sure if I'll finish it.

But yeah, anyways, with XII, it's not internet based, is it?

Oh, and has anyone played Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for GameCube? I just got me a GC for Jesusmas and was wondering if I should invest the money?

~Wondre

·
Registered
443 Posts
I really liked VIII. But I wouldn't have gotten through it without "coaching" from my friends about how to junction everything etc.

I like IX a lot too, tho I haven't finished and don't know if I will. It's really cute tho

Does everyone name their own characters or use the stock names?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, so here's a question. I'm not gonna use spoiler tags 'cause I don't think this is gonna ruin anything plot-wise. I'm stuck at a part of the game, right after you leave the village seeking the boy who can give you a sunstone. In the desert, you get attacked like a zillion times in a row and often double and triple teamed.

How much did you guys fight early on in the game? I was trying to fight everything and eventually encountered some weird thing that killed both of my characters with one hit.

Pissed me off pretty bad how unfair that is, I must say.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.