VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some spelt fillo dough at my health food store a month or so ago, and I made some tofu-mushroom-spinach pockets with them, each time slathering each sheet in earth balance. So I baked them ,and they tasted GREAT, but they were SO rich they made me really sick after eating only one. I still have a lot of the dough left in the freezer. I was just wondering, is there anyway to help them keep their great flakiness without slathering them in some kind of fat between each layer?

Cassie

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Good question. I have the same spelt fillo in my freezer, and no idea what to make with it. Anybody got any good dessert recipes?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you don't brush fillo dough with fat (margarine, oil, whatever), it doesn't turn out crispy and yummy.

I'm glad to hear it turned out well; if the richness makes you sick, you could try making them smaller and pairing them with something less rich (like veggies or fruit).

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know of two vegan baklava recipes that sound great.

This one, I received from a vegan mailingl ist I'm on...

Recipe By: the California Culinary Academy;

Serving Size: 12; Preparation Time :1:15;

Low Cholesterol; Low Sodium

a.. safflower oil -- for coating pan

b.. 1 cup ground almonds

c.. 1 cup ground walnuts

d.. 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

e.. 8 sheets filo

f.. 1/4 cup melted margarine

g.. 1 1/4 cups date sugar

h.. 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind

i.. 1/4 cup lemon juice

j.. 2 tablespoons maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a deep 9- by 12-inch baking pan.

2. In a small bowl combine almonds, walnuts, and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. Cut each sheet of filo in half.

Stack cut sheets on counter.

With a large pastry brush, dot top sheet with about 1 teaspoon margarine, then spread evenly to coat as much of sheet as possible (see Preparing Filo).

Lay evenly in baking pan.

Sprinkle lightly with nut mixture.

Repeat with remaining sheets, stacking evenly.

4. To cut baklava make 4 evenly spaced vertical cuts through the entire stack of filo.

Then cut diagonally to form diamond shapes.

(Four evenly spaced diagonal cuts will yield 15 to 20 pastries.)

Bake for 20 minutes, then lower heat to 300 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes more.

5. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, simmer date sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice, and maple syrup until thickened.

Pour over cooked baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Let cool and then serve.

NOTES :

This traditional Greek dessert alternates sheets of thin filo pastry with a mixture of ground almonds, walnuts, and cinnamon.

When the pastry comes out of the oven, it soaks in a lemon-flavored honey glaze.

and, from vegweb:

From [email protected] (Eric Michael Howard)

Baklava

Ingredients:

1 lb margarine

1 lb filo dough

1 lb walnuts (ground)

1/4 lb almonds (ground)

3 1/2 c sugar

1 stick cinnamon

1 tsp to 1 T cinnamon (ground)

3-4 whole cloves

1/4 to 1 tsp ground cloves

Directions:

Melt the butter and clarify it if you wish (I usually use margarine, and don't attempt to clarify it if I do use butter). Mix the walnuts, almonds, 1/2 c sugar and ground spices together. Butter a 9"x13" pan. Layer in five sheets of filo, buttering each. Now alternate layering small handfuls of nuts with two sheets of filo (buttering each. You can get away with buttering every other sheet, but not more.) until everything is used up. Cut into diamond shape pieces (carefully, with a sharp knife), and bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for I believe an hour and 15 minutes, or 'til golden brown (I do this by eye).

While it is baking, in a heavy saucepan, heat 1 c water, and the remaining 3 c sugar, and the whole spices. Bring to a boil over low to med heat, and then turn down and cook for ~15 min. When the stuff in the oven is done, pour the sauce over the top and let it set for a few minutes. Eat Hot or cold.

These both sound really, really good, but I'm thinking they'd be so rich I'd get sick.

Cassie

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know you need to brush them with fat to make them crispy and flaky...I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to if there was any other thing you could do that would make them at least somewhat still crispy and flaky, minus the brushing on of fat. I already made them pretty small, I don't think I could make them much smaller. It's kind of weird because I've never had that kind of reaction to food before--never got sick over something because it was too rich...

Cassie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts