VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm loathe to create another women's health issues post but it's easier than going back through the countless confused ones I've asked questions in and saying these 3 things.

-I will NOT be eating dairy anymore. (Other than perhaps VERY occasional butter or trace elements in baking simply because as a Coeliac veg I have few vices and know many friends with their own happy cows...
I ate it for 3 months (after not eating it for years and years) and call it coincidence or not but I now...

-have fibroids.
They were the factor making my periods last 14 plus days and the strange pain that wasn't menstrual cramps (I don't get those).
They are responsible for my otherwise great cycle BEING F*CKED UP.
I'm not sure why...but I'm just angry. At nobody. Just frustrated. Because I finally have decent reproductive health and a life again post-Coeliac diagnosis etc. and now things have gone haywire.
Not making trying to conceive easy either...

-On the upside, apart from this, all is peachy and I really appreciated your wisdom!
If anybody has had fibroids... I'd love to know what the outcome was.
Do I HAVE to take medication that kills my hormones for a while?
I just got them back.

Oh. That's what the anger is :crying: ...
I don't want to be hormoneless and sweating and sad all over again...

End of illegible rant of dubious purpose....

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
So I'm loathe to create another women's health issues post but it's easier than going back through the countless confused ones I've asked questions in and saying these 3 things.

-I will NOT be eating dairy anymore. (Other than perhaps VERY occasional butter or trace elements in baking simply because as a Coeliac veg I have few vices and know many friends with their own happy cows...
I ate it for 3 months (after not eating it for years and years) and call it coincidence or not but I now...

-have fibroids.
They were the factor making my periods last 14 plus days and the strange pain that wasn't menstrual cramps (I don't get those).
They are responsible for my otherwise great cycle BEING F*CKED UP.
I'm not sure why...but I'm just angry. At nobody. Just frustrated. Because I finally have decent reproductive health and a life again post-Coeliac diagnosis etc. and now things have gone haywire.
Not making trying to conceive easy either...

-On the upside, apart from this, all is peachy and I really appreciated your wisdom!
If anybody has had fibroids... I'd love to know what the outcome was.
Do I HAVE to take medication that kills my hormones for a while?
I just got them back.

Oh. That's what the anger is :crying: ...
I don't want to be hormoneless and sweating and sad all over again...

End of illegible rant of dubious purpose....
I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, and although I don't know how similar this is to fibroids, I take Seasonale as a birth control method to keep my periods on track. The Pill works as well if your periods aren't particularly violent and painful, but I like the fact that I only have 4 of them a year and they're always EXACTLY ON TIME and never last more than their allotted 7 days. I had a lot of spotting on the first pack as I adjusted to the meds, but I've been on it for a little over a year now and haven't had any trouble since. Birth control is often listed as a treatment method for both conditions, so it might be worth it to give it a shot.

As far as dairy and gluten free veganism, have you checked out the Allergy Free Chef's work? I don't see dairy as food at all regardless of how happy the cows are, it isn't my or anyone else's place to take the milk, but the Allergy Free Chef has some AMAZING gluten free recipes for bread, pie, and cookies/bars. My hubby has Celiac Sprue also, and we've been adjusting to a fully gluten free diet over the last few months. The other really good ones are Artisan Gluten Free and Vegan Bread (which is an absolutely AMAZING cookbook by the way), Minimalist Baker's Cookbook, Gluten Free Vegan Eats (which has a fantastic brown rice pasta recipe that I've been playing with), and Decadent Gluten Free Vegan Treats, which has yet to have disappointed anyone in my house. Baking is an amazing skill to have anyway!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much for your reply! I don't know how similar PCOS is either but useful info regardless.
4 periods a year would be ok but we want kids ASAP so I probably need more than that unless I get really lucky :p .

I'm totally investigating those exact books!

And as of now, going vegan for the first time in years.
Will my cycle get even crazier? Disappear completely? Regulate? Let's find out...
Oo

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Thankyou so much for your reply! I don't know how similar PCOS is either but useful info regardless.
4 periods a year would be ok but we want kids ASAP so I probably need more than that unless I get really lucky .

I'm totally investigating those exact books!

And as of now, going vegan for the first time in years.
Will my cycle get even crazier? Disappear completely? Regulate? Let's find out...
Oo
Watch your calorie intake, as many many many people who go vegan do not eat enough food initially.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I think that's what I did wrong for the years I was vegan prior to this. Keeping an eye on it and eating alllll the foods!

It's amazing how happy I felt yesterday just knowing I was going back to a diet that felt better in my body and soul.
It actually feels like the first bout of depression I've ever had (which started about 2 months ago) shifted instantly. Perhaps I wasn't as ok with what I was eating as I thought...

Hooraaaaay!!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Fibroids are super common and are not caused or exacerbated by dairy consumption -- actually there seems to some (very limited) evidence that dairy consumption may reduce the risk of fibroids (http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/050112p40.shtml). Probably, the fibroids were there all along. Many women have fibroids and never have any symptoms or difficulties related to them (only found incidentally on imaging or when they have surgery for other reasons).

Here is some more info on fertility and fibroids:
https://www.asrm.org/FACTSHEET_Fibroids_and_Fertility/

It's definitely a good idea to talk to your doctor if you have questions, and it would probably be good to see a registered dietitian if you are concerned about how your diet might be affecting your fertility.

I think it's great that you are back at a vegan diet, and there are lots of great reasons to eat vegan. But I also don't want you to feel guilty that not eating vegan somehow caused the fibroids.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh RunnerVeggie , your post brought tears to my eyes. Surprising response because I didn't feel thaaaaat guilty but definitely like it wasn't coincidence that those 3 months were the first time it happened and at least slightly annoyed at myself!
Good to know they're common, too.

Interesting research! My GP is fairly mainstream so for him to say it's often linked with meat and dairy (higher estrogen) I figured it was pretty conclusive but perhaps (like much of life and diet etc.) it's not.

I have another scan on Tuesday and then many things will be clearer. I think I have to have blood tests fortnightly to monitor my hormones for a month as well. But that's ok... Good, even! It's nice to have it in someone else's hands, y'know? Sometimes.

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have fibroids and I don't eat any dairy or meat either. I also try to stay away from white sugar. I use only honey and maple mostly to sweeten my food. I was taking apple cider vinegar water which I am going to back to very soon. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and nuts. I am also taking some supplements as well. My stomach started getting red and swelling so I did castor oil packs and it took the pain away and the swelling went down. I am going to start doing them more frequently and see how it goes.

I have tried some recipes from Pinterest to help me find recipes and it has been very helpful.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mimosa.
It turns out THERE WAS NOTHING THERE. In fact, my symptoms were caused by 'low estrogen' apparently and have since mostly resolved.
After that and a blood test confusion a while ago, I've actually changed doctors.

But I'm glad for the tips because the GP said prevention is better than cure (and that meat is far worse for dairy re: prevention anyway).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts