VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some people on here asking if we really are making a difference. Well, here you go....We are!

Quote:
According to a recent report by the United States Department of Agriculture, the number of chickens raised and killed for food will drop significantly in the second half of 2011, due to decreased demand for meat. This latest report comes on the heels of a Daily Livestock Report, indicating that 2010 per capita consumption of all meat dropped by an estimated one pound per person in the United States, marking the fourth year in a row that meat consumption has declined in the United States and the fifth decline within a six-year period.

While it is difficult to say what is causing this steady drop in meat consumption, some studies indicate that it may be at least partially due to increased awareness of animal welfare issues among the general public. Whatever the cause, it is certainly good news for the billions of chickens and other farmed animals who are intensively confined, mutilated without painkillers and cruelly slaughtered every year in the United States.
http://www.mfablog.org/2011/08/fewer...eat-drops.html

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Wow. That really is good news. Given the continually increasing population, and the fact that meat is such a standard part of American diets, I'm really, really surprised by this.

As for the cause, I really doubt it's because of AR or AW concerns. I would guess it has more to do with health concerns. But that's just my guess based on the people I know - more and more are choosing to eat healthier for weight loss or overall health reasons.

--Fromper

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
that article is extremely misleading. the reason why there is less is because they made too much over the past year, read the part about broiler meat and cold storage.....

when you do the math it equals out to about the same amount of chickens as years before. also the actual study shows an increase in most all other meats

Quote:
Beef/Cattle: Drought continues to motivate sales of cattle in Southern auctions and
placements in feedlots. These sales and placements are occurring despite high
grain prices.
Pork/Hogs: Accelerating pork exports are expected to maintain hog and pork prices at or
near record highs for the balance of 2011.
Dairy: Milk production will continue to rise both this year and next. Fats basis exports
will rise in 2011 from last year but soften slightly in 2012. Skims-solids export will
show slight increases both this year and next. Higher milk production and slower growth
in exports will pressure prices in 201

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While meat sales are down, fruit and nuts are up.

Quote:
A new report from Euromonitor International shows that the growth in demand for meat slowed considerably between 2005 and 2010, with a less than 14 percent increase in sales. Comparatively, nut and fruit sales have seen a near-20 percent growth, and lentils and chickpeas have also experienced rising popularity.
http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/...d=3604&catId=8

Whether it's due to AR or more healthy eating, I'm happy with the results.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i am glad it is going in the right direction!
UMMM, hello?!?

the sales of meat and dairy products have gone up overall according to the report cited in the article posted by the OP: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications...g/LDPM206F.pdf

and as I mentioned already, the reason the chicken numbers are predicted lower is because they overproduced last year, not because the demand is down.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

UMMM, hello?!?

the sales of meat and dairy products have gone up overall according to the report cited in the article posted by the OP: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications...g/LDPM206F.pdf

and as I mentioned already, the reason the chicken numbers are predicted lower is because they overproduced last year, not because the demand is down.
It looked like sales were down last year so their cold storage was still full, which is one of the reasons they are slaughtering less this year. A combination of still having left over stock and lowered sales.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

It looked like sales were down last year so their cold storage was still full, which is one of the reasons they are slaughtering less this year. A combination of still having left over stock and lowered sales.
actually not, there has been an steady increase over the past few years in production, especially last year (up 3%), this report is predicting the growth in production to stop this quarter, and does not attribute this decrease to lower sales. the report explains that the birds weigh 2% more than they did last year, so the actual number of birds slaughtered is less but the amount of 'meat' produced equals about the same.

Quote:
Cold storage
holdings at the end of the second quarter totaled 710 million pounds, 12 percent
higher than a year earlier. One factor in the increase in cold storage holdings was
higher stocks of breast meat products
A 12% increase is stock holdings doesn't coincide with a decrease in demand....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts