VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I looked for a forum as I'm having real difficulty at the moment.

I dont want to eat meat it makes me feel sick- having worked for a animal welfare charity last year I saw all the things i was previously blind too and made the decision to be veggie.

But last year after 2 weeks of feeling fantastic on a veggie diet i started to feel depressed and ill, very lethargic and caught every bug going I felt so down i didnt want to go on. I thought this was due to going veggie so i compromised by only eating free range products.

But this year again I felt i had to try once more, this time i didnt even get the good feeling for 2 weeks after 4 days i felt dreadful .

Looking into things Im assuming its to do with vitamins etc so Ive brought some iron tablets and still taking my vitB supplement which i have had for several years.

My question is what can i eat to stop feeling like this? or does it just go with the territory?

I worked with several vegan and vegetarians and they were always ill - but they lived off chips and coke!

I cannot feel like that it stopped me from working and getting on with life but at the same time i dont want to eat meat.

Am i missing something obvious?

I did eat a lot of vegeatables, fruits, but also found i was eating breads and potatoes to fill me up as i didnt like the beans/lentils etc also theres always a feeling of never feeling satisfied without meat, does that go away with time?

I hope my post makes sense , thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
820 Posts
It would help if you could give us specific examples of what a day's worth of meals looks like to you.

You may not be getting enough calories. Meat is very calorie dense compared to a lot of other foods, so you may need to just eat more.

You may be allergic to something you add to your diet when you are veg. Are you Vegan or Vegetarian?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im vegetarian, I think im having too many calories because i feel hungry a lot more but then as you say its difficult to tell.

Typical day

breakfast

weetabix with sliced grapes and honey and organic milk or two slices of toast with honey (white slaps wrist)

Then about 11am I might have an apple or a few rivita

Lunch i find difficult when at work it can be as useless as a crisp sandwich or might be a salad.

Snack about 4pm of more fruit or rivita, maybe crisps or a bagel.

Tea

mixed veg with herbs and veg stock cube in a pan with some fried potatoes

sometimes with quorn substitute.

I do feel Im not getting much variety and as said sometimes just do chips etc as a quick fix

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're definitely not getting enough proteins! You should try to introduce more grains, legumes and tofu/seitan/tempeh/quorn in your diet .

Can't you bring something at work? There are plenty of healthy lunchbox solutions out there: think veggies and hummus dip, cheese and faux ham sandwich, tabbouleh, pasta or rice salad...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

You're definitely not getting enough proteins! You should try to introduce more grains, legumes and tofu/seitan/tempeh/quorn in your diet .

Can't you bring something at work? There are plenty of healthy lunchbox solutions out there: think veggies and hummus dip, cheese and faux ham sandwich, tabbouleh, pasta or rice salad...
Theres loads of yummy looking things but to top everything i have allergies so cheese and citric acid plus citrus fruits are out!

so Im havign to make everything myself

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok, no cheese and no citrus fruit. But a lot of veg*an lunches remain possible options. And you can make your own tabbouleh, hummus, baba ganoush, pasta salad... You don't have to buy ready-made stuff! What about a nice sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, zucchini and chickpea salad? Quinoa and black beans? Pita bread and avocado?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'd recommend the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. When I first went veg in January, my big concern was making sure I got enough protein. But I quickly discovered that protein's easy. This book taught me that there are other nutrients we have to plan for, to make sure we get enough, like vitamin D, B12, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids.

As for you taking iron and other supplements, I would check with a doctor. Too much of some vitamins and minerals can be bad for you, and just random guessing might not find the specific one you're currently lacking. Have blood work done to find out for sure.

As for easy stuff to take to work for lunch, I find that PBJ works well. I tend to make a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on wheat bread all at once, and wrap them up in pairs to store in the fridge. Then I take two per day with me to work until I run out. Sometimes, I'll only eat one for lunch, sometimes I'll eat both, sometimes I'll have one for lunch and the other as a snack a few hours later. I also try to find other things to bring for variety, but having these to fall back on makes life easy.

--Fromper

·
Registered
329 Posts
wow....I felt kinda like that when I first went veggie. It was becuase I was sustitutung sugary sweets in place of meats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts