VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegetarian for about 6 months now, but along the way I've decided to add in other things - such as not purchasing animal-tested cosmetics, buying from stores which sell fur, or buying silk (I feel sorry for the poor little worms boiled alive). The other day I went shopping with a friend to buy some shoes I have wanted for a couple of weeks and when I tried them on, I noticed they have silk ties on them. I aksed the SA if she knows where the silk comes from and what the process was in making it (she just smirked lol). I told my friend I'd feel guilty, but they just kept saying I deserve them and they are end of season stock, and I always turn down fashion items for my conscience. Long story short, I was convinced and bought them. I haven't thought about it since but now I feel so guilty about it. Do you guys ever cave in? Does this mean I'm not committed or im a bad person?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh boy!<br><br><br><br>
Listen, we all make mistakes. My bigest one was to revert to a Pescetarian lifestyle, to which I regretted and switched quickly back to Veganism. Although my mistakes have never had to do with fashion, I have shared enough in your guilt to know how you feel.<br><br><br><br>
Why are you vegetarian? I am guessing - due to the issue that you are facing at the moment - that you went veg for ethical and moral reasons. If I am correct, then maybe the best thing would be to return the shoes (if possible). If it is not possible, do not just throw them away. That would be stupid, for plenty of people would die to have a pair of new and warm shoes.<br><br><br><br>
If you feel guilty for a purchase that you have made, I can't really help you much. Some of us may have been in the same situation, but just that will not be able to lighten how you feel. Silk is certainly bad, but it is not the worst product you could have supported.<br><br><br><br>
My advice: Sometimes we have to give up things that we want. Would I like the sexy and nice-feeling silk button-up shirt? Maybe, but I won't buy it. I know where I stand on the issue. Then again, I won't condemn others for buying it either.<br><br><br><br>
Find your boundaries, and don't allow outside pressure to get to you.<br><br><br><br>
~Austin~<br><br><br><br>
Good Luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Return them<br><br><br><br>
donate them to someone who needs shoes<br><br><br><br>
sell them and donate the money to an animal organization<br><br><br><br>
donate double the amount of money you spent on the shoes.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
I really don't know what to say to that, If you want to return them then take em back. As for me I try not buy anything that has leather or anything like that on it, but like my glasses case has leather inside the case, and I have some shoes that have leather on em, and my watch (that was a gift from a friend) has a leather band on it, I feel a little bad but don't really let it bother me. As for your shoes maybe it doesn't come from the silk worms that are boiled, maybe it comes from the ones that lay silk naturally? The ultimate decision is up to you, maybe if you google the brand name and what processes they use maybe that'll help you make your choice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The silk that is harvested for cloth is usually from the boiled silkworms. It is "more efficient", sort of like factory farms.<br><br><br><br>
~Austin~

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just read an article about Down, Silk, and Honey. And honestly I feel really bad now for like bees and stuff, I mean I know that their insects but to burn the bees that people don't need is just wrong. The poor silkworms are boiled alive so that thread isn't cut to short. And I'm not really sure what down is, but I have a feather-light bed thing from pre-veg days and I'm pretty sure that theirs something in their.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Hmmm, yeah, I'm sure there's <i>something</i> in there. Possibly reading the washing-care instructions or materiels tag would give you a clue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Down has feathers in it. I had bought a coat online a couple of weeks ago and it said down, I just thought it was the type of coat but then I noticed one day when I was wearing it that it had something in the matierial, feathers. I make mistakes too music_girl, but you learn from them!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
By the way, down is a type of feather. It's the undercoat on ducks and other birds that keeps their skin from getting wet and keeps the bird warm. The bird has to die in order for the down to be removed.<br><br><br><br>
To the OP: You simply made a mistake. I wouldn't worry about it, but just keep your eyes open during future purchases. Remember that you're the only one who has your conscience. People outside of you don't have to be convinced before it's the right decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts