VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am here watching a documentary about homospians and neanthratals 40,000 plus years ago and they hunted and ate meat, whatever animal they could get their hands on. That makes me wonder were we made carnivores/omnivores? I read a lot recently and I came to the understanding that man is meant to be a herbavore? Very confused? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think it's interesting to learn about our ancestors' diets, but we shouldn't let what they ate then affect what we choose to eat now. If we have the option to be herbivores and cause less suffering, then why not take it?

That aside, it's fascinating to learn about history and understand where we came from.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been watching the same documentary... too funny that you posted this!

I've been thinking for the past hour or so how truly amazing it is that, for millions of years, the world has been inhabited by creatures killing each other to survive, out of pure necessity and just as a natural part of life.

We are at a point in history where thinking creatures are, for the first time, consciously modifying their eating habits out of respect for the lives of other creatures. This is a truly stunning development when you stop to think about it.

I feel very fortunate to be around to witness and participate in this particular step in human progress.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I think it comes down to what you mean when you say "man was meant" to have a particular diet. It seems evident from anthropology that man developed with an omnivore diet. He may not have developed as Homo sapiens sapiens with any other kind of diet. So here we are, as Homo sapiens sapiens, the thinking man, who can choose how he will live. We have all these choices, they can be confusing. But unless you're looking at it from a religious perspective (what God "meant" us to do, or be), using the word "meant" is inaccurate. Natural selection doesn't "mean" us to do anything, as far as the science can show us. Some behaviors such as omnivorousness enabled us to continue to live as a species through tough times (like the Ice Age). But we don't live like that now. We can, as thinking beings, consider how we want to live, even consider how our choices could be beneficial to us as a species. For instance, it's clear that much of how we eat meat now as a culture or group of societies isn't beneficial to the Earth's life systems. Overstocking grazing herds of animals or confinement factory raising of animals has a demonstrably damaging effect on ecosystems and even on a wider scale such as the global climate. So we can see how we live now, how we eat, and ask, is this beneficial in the short term and in the long term? It seems clear that how we live and eat now as a society is not beneficial to us in either the short term or the long term. If we could all live like hunter-gatherers we would certainly be doing less harm, even if we were eating meat, but the fact is we don't live that way nor can we live that way anymore. It's up to us to find a way of life that is beneficial where we find ourselves today.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
We are not neanderthals.

We are homo sapiens sapiens.

Please do not base your diet on a species that no longer exists. If they no longer exist, it is probably because they were not well adapted to life on this planet.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybrown View Post

I read a lot recently and I came to the understanding that man is meant to be a herbavore?
I've seen those theories too... they're kind of laughable.

Anyways, I agree with the above posters. We're omnivores and can choose what we want to eat. We might not have evolved to be herbivores, but we can live pretty healthy lives on an herbivore diet.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Other omnivores can't choose, when they come across something they can eat they do. We can choose that's.

We aren't descendants of Neanderthals, though someone suggested that there might have been intermarriage, but which is very doubtable.

A little odd topic: I pass the Neanderthal (means valley of Neander) every day on my way to or from work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.