VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lately i have been feeling really crappy about my veganism. about 6 months or so ago i cut my hair real short... and by real short i mean shaved it all off. it was always short but yea i looked like britney spears does now hahah and cried for weeks and weeks. well it is finally to a length where it has become a pain in the butt to take care of once again.

i am kind of poor as in barely living paycheck to paycheck so i have been trying to pick up vegan items slowly but surely and well i got some kiss my face shampoo and conditioner which smelled nice but my hair was always a frizzy mess afterwards. i tried a few other vegan products for straightening it and whatnot but just ended up burning my hair. and well i caved.

my aunt saw my frustration and the bad shape of my hair and went shopping for me and got me some shampoo/conditioner, leave in conditioner, antifrizz stuff, etc etc etc. and of course none of it is vegan and most of it was probably tested on animals but after a couple of weeks using this stuff, my hair is in decent shape again.

so yea. i have the nightmares. i have the constant feeling like crap. but i dunno what to do. the products i picked up from the whole foods store just do not do what they are supposed to.

so what am i supposed to do? perhaps someone could recommend a cheap vegan product that will help me control my thick rebellious hair? i mean i tried just blow drying it without any products and it is like a big poofy mess. advice please?

·
Registered
155 Posts
They're not real cheap but not super expensive but I like Avalon Organics (you can get it in the health food store over here) and it's available in the US too. If you can keep using the one's your aunt bought for you (waste not want not
) and save up to buy the avalon one's. You don't need to use a lot (I use about a 20c piece and my hair is below my bra strap) so they last. I have the shampoo and conditioner (the Ylang Ylang one for glistening hair) and I also have that fuzzy flyaway hair (drives me mad). To style it I put a big blob of the conditioner into a squirty bottle and mix with water and spray it on before I style it. I also leave a small blob of the conditioner in after I've hopped out of the shower so it's very versatile.

As for supermarket one's, they're mostly full of crud that bungs up your hair and makes it crummy anyway (wow, I really had to edit that for swear words-lol) plus most of them test on animals. Hope this helps a bit and good luck!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I keep reading about how raw apple cider vinegar (from the health food store - not supermarket) diluted in 64 parts of water will condition your hair. (1 tbsp to 4 cups)

I can also recommend buying or asking someone to present you with the gift of: How It All Vegan. I love this book and it has actual shampoo and conditioner recipes in it, along with a bazzillion other essentials.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Bath & Body Works shampoos and conditioners are vegan and they don't frizz my hair [I used to have your problem]. If anything, it flattened my hair out a little too much. And they smell delicious. Mmm ...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I use Shikai. It's great, smells nice without being too strong (which I hate), and is the cheapest vegan shampoo I've found so far. I have noticed no difference in my hair using that and my old non-vegan shampoo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have you ever been into lush? i'm not sure where you are but they have them all over the world so you should be ok. they do tonnes of vegan products and of course non of the ingredients or products are tested on animals. i'd really recommend the solid shampoo bars. they're not super cheap but they last about 80-100 washes (more if you've got short hair) and they do them for all hair types

·
Registered
236 Posts
Most Bath & Bodyworks products are NOT vegan (I'm not sure about shampoos & conditioners, but lotions & soaps usually aren't), as they often contain animal products such as lactose. They also have on their labels "finished products not tested on animals," which is often code for "we tested many of the ingredients in this product on animals, but not the finished product"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueveggie14 View Post

I can also recommend buying or asking someone to present you with the gift of: How It All Vegan. I love this book and it has actual shampoo and conditioner recipes in it, along with a bazzillion other essentials.
This book is amazing! I live by it and it has not let me down.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you have a Wholefoods in your area? They said all of there products including hair and body are not tested on animals.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the great ideas. i will definitely print this out and look into everything. -hugs everyone-

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carabdle View Post

Most Bath & Bodyworks products are NOT vegan (I'm not sure about shampoos & conditioners, but lotions & soaps usually aren't), as they often contain animal products such as lactose. They also have on their labels "finished products not tested on animals," which is often code for "we tested many of the ingredients in this product on animals, but not the finished product"
Stupid question ...

Does that mean that the Bath & Body Works company actually performs animal testing? Or that they use ingredients that have been animal tested, with the testing having been done by other companies?

Not that it matters to me since I don't shop there anyway. But I was just curious.

Edited to Add:

Bath & Body Works shows up on PeTA's list of companies that do not test on animals. So I'm leaning toward the idea that B&BW uses ingredients that have been tested on animals (tests performed by other companies or suppliers) but they do not run any animal tests themselves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out no pooing. The only thing cheaper than that is not using anything at all! Also try googling "curly girls". Personall I do something called "conditioner only washing" - basically every time I get my hair wet I comb some conditioner through. Once a week I mix a spoonful of baking soda into my conditioner and use than like shampoo, then condition as usual. I have very curly hair so what I then do is put it in a bun until it is semi dry, but I bet something like that would work for thick hair too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironicstatement View Post

have you ever been into lush? i'm not sure where you are but they have them all over the world so you should be ok. they do tonnes of vegan products and of course non of the ingredients or products are tested on animals. i'd really recommend the solid shampoo bars. they're not super cheap but they last about 80-100 washes (more if you've got short hair) and they do them for all hair types
I second this - solid shampoo bars are awesome, expecially with jungle conditioner bar
Lush's liquid shampoos and conditioners are pretty good too, but don't last as long

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carabdle View Post

Okay, I keep seeing people say this, but as far as I know it is NOT true. On Peta2 a LONG time ago, someone wrote in to their Q&A section and asked, "Since Bath & Body Works labels their products "Finished products not tested on animals" does that mean that they test ingredients on animals/contract testing out to another lab?" The answer that Peta2 gave was that the reason B&BW products are labeled like that is NOT because they test any ingredients on animals, but because of international labeling laws. Apparently they don't feel like changing the packaging for their products based on which country it was sold in. One (or more) of the countries that it's sold in has some kind of law that prohibits them from putting the statement "Not tested on animals" on there. But they don't test on animals.

I'm trying to look on the Peta2 websiste and find the column, but they don't have archives so it's not that easy.

If you are really concerned you could probably serach "Bath & Body Works" here on VB (I thnk I found the column because it was linked on VB) or you could write to B&BW.

One cheap mainstream brand of shampoos/conditioners that doesn't test on animals is White Rain. I'm not sure about animal byproducts though, so if you are concerned about that you might want to read the label.

~Julie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

I use Shikai. It's great, smells nice without being too strong (which I hate), and is the cheapest vegan shampoo I've found so far. I have noticed no difference in my hair using that and my old non-vegan shampoo.
here's another vote for shikai. my hair causes me problems and i've tried many vegan products that didn't produce the results i wanted (mostly related to frizz). i'm loving this stuff, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts