VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know about feel good foods..I am going through a terrible emotional time right now and crying buckets and wondering if there are healthy food that will make me feel better? I am eating pretty well, and trying to do a balanced diet. I am going off antidressents, slowly, and that is affecting my mood, as are hormone..any suggestions??

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
lorelei, i think you need a hug more than a "magic" feel-good food. so, *hug*

sorry, i don't know of any foods that will make you feel better. chocolate tends to make me quite happy - but i don't think that's what you need. what usually works for me when i'm down is exercising - dancing, running, aerobics- anything to get those endorphins flowing! or maybe watching your favorite funny movie or listening to some (happy) music may help.

i know some people tend to eat when they are depressed, but usually that only adds to the depression (b/c of guilty feelings for eating too much). just continue to eat well, and find some other positive outlet for your emotions.

i hope you feel better soon...this smiley may help:
(i don't know why, but something about that humping smiley always makes me giddy!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
peanut butter, bananas, and brown rice syrup (something sweet) on top, on whole wheat toast...yummy. Hmm, just get your whole grains, plenty of fresh fruit and whatever you like. Multivitamin?

Yoga class always makes me feel so happy, flexible,and at peace. You may like it.
Or dance class

yes, ya need a hug! *hug*

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the hugs..I think I may try eating breeakfast, and a healthy one in the am..something I have not done in a long time..and eat it on china..lol..the good stuff

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
mmmm...avacados! Avacados are high in the amino acid tyroscine, which help rise mood and also calm the nerves. I'm with vegcat on the exercise too, the endorphines can work wonders. Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I found the raw food bars from veganessentials very good.

Yummy !

Don't think it will change your mood though....

*hug*

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sorry you are feeling so down, Lorelei. I can relate. I went of my meds last year, and the roller coaster ride of emotions has continued ever since. I agree that exercise helps, but if your depression is anything like mine, then we would both have to exercise 24/7 to get an ounce of relief.

What usually helps me is if I first, talk to someone for encouragement. Second, per my dear hubby's advice, I go and do something I enjoy (I like to paint ceramics - got a house full
)

I tried going to the gym, but most of the time, I want to cry and I hate the idea of shedding tears while cycling!! If worse comes to worse, I also grab a pint of Chocolate-Almond fruit sweetened Soy Delicious.

I really feel for you....it's not fun going off meds and having to cope with emotions that we basically have little control over. Keep your chin up! OH...one other thing that can help...I don't know if you are a Bible reader or not, but if so, sometimes just reading a few passages (maybe from Psalms) can help. For me, it gives my mind something positive and comforting to focus on.

Hey...why not just grab the pint of SD, and eat while you read...oh, and invite me over when you do...I'm always happy to share the SD.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
chocolate is good. It may not be healthy, but there's no harm in a bit of chocolate every now and then.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oranges are suppose to calm anxieties and boost your mood. Also, try eating something with peppermint in it, tea or something. Lemonbalm tea is suppose to be good for a broken heart.

Almonds are proported as mood enhancers.

Eating a big juicy mango always makes me happy, the more messy, the better. I feel good eating fresh raspberries too.

I wish I could think of more off hand.

Maybe whatever has you blue can't be solved by these foods but they sure can't hurt. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Lorelei - sorry you're down.

Chocolate always makes me feel better.

...and I never did think about it before

but when Oatmeal mentioned hot oatmeal.....

you know - - that always gives me a good feeling inside too!!

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Lorelei,

I don't know you at all really, but I'll tell you what helps me to perk up. I put that qualifier at the front because I don't know anything about what your spiritual interest is, and I don't want to assume that you're exactly like me.

When I'm down, I put on praise-and-worship CD (I recommend Salvador, RiverTribe, Deliriou5?, Rebecca St. James...), pray, and read from my Bible. Now, I know one of the hardest times to pray is when I don't want to, but praying isn't just me talking. The most awesome times are when I just sit there, focusing on God and not my problems. From the Bible, the most encouraging parts to me are often in the four Gospels- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I read through the life of Jesus, and I'm reminded again that in comparison to how big my God is, my problems are small and manageable.

Peace upon you as you try to "feel good"! I know well the temporary comfort that certain foods bring.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have to agree with Skylark. Prayer is wonderful and so is the Bible. Lots of comfort there.

I also forgot to mention another food...Baby's comment about the mango made me think of it...watermelon. That is one fruit that you can't eat without making a mess and it's tons of fun to eat it outside where you can soak up the rays of the sun. Sunshine is very therapeutic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thank you one and all for the support...I have had a good 36 hours of later...and it is wonderful. I have ordered some praise and worship cd's and can't wait to get them. I am trying to "keep a song in my heart"...I finally gave in and took the ( lorazepam ) the md prescribed, and as much as I don't want to be taking anything, this is better than crying crying crying. I got out yesterday with a g/f. I'm going to be ok, and I do thank you all so mcuh. I am eating healthy, yet spluring on occassion when I feel I need a pick me up. I am going to try to ride my bike around the block this afternoon, too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.