VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most important things that I have learned in life is the importance of feeding your brain. That is, be careful what you expose yourself to. There will be many horrors in life that we will have to see or will be exposed to and not be able to "un-see". So, I practice not seeing the things that will not make my life a happy one tomorrow and so forth.

There was a study a few years ago that said that children who are exposed to horror flicks have "unreasonable" fears for the rest of their lives. I believe this is accurate.

So, if you want to be happy decades from now start exposing yourself to more peaceful and joyful things. If you insist on viewing violence and suffering there will be no one to blame in twenty years when you're depressed and miserable.

I have found that the responsibility for who we will become in the tomorrow falls squarely in our laps. So, feed you mind good things.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

There was a study a few years ago that said that children who are exposed to horror flicks have "unreasonable" fears for the rest of their lives. I believe this is accurate.
This explains a lot.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I hear that. But then again, seeing some of the **** that I've seen no doubt played a large part into my decision to become vegetarian, so I guess it's not all bad.

Also, in regards seeing horror flicks at a young age causing irrational fears, sometimes that can be beneficial as well. You see, because of all the zombie movies I have seen, I am very much prepared for the inevitable zombie apocalypse that is due to occur any time now. So seeing them has not fed an irrational fear so much as aided me in preparing for the materialization of a completely rational fear (brain eating zombies, possibly wielding chainsaws).

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I remember when I was a child being terrified even by the advertisements for scary movies on TV. They would keep me up at night.

I think its also important to choose carefully what media you consume, even as an adult. If you read a lot of tabloid magazine, watch crap reality TV, etc..., you're not going to get any smarter or deeper. It really does help to think of what you put in your brain as "food," and then make sure your brain has a healthy diet.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

Egad! I think I saw every crummy monster/alien, mutant invasion movie ever made when I was little! I also saw Citizen Kane! I'm doomed!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I think it's important to watch videos of undercover investigations that expose animal abuse. We need to know the truth and we need to stay motivated to help animals. But that should be balanced with lots of positive stuff too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I hear that. But then again, seeing some of the **** that I've seen no doubt played a large part into my decision to become vegetarian, so I guess it's not all bad.
I hear ya brother! Me too.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Egad! I think I saw every crummy monster/alien, mutant invasion movie ever made when I was little! I also saw Citizen Kane! I'm doomed!
I think fear of invading mutants would be reasonable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.