VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I wanted to ask you guys a quick question , what if you have a pet at home for example a cat,dog or a snake .

Are you ok to feed those animals meat? or is that against vegeterianism?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's against vegetarianism to eat meat yourself, it's you who's going vegetarian, not your dog/cat/or snake. You eat your diet and your pet should continue eating theirs.

Both my dog and cat get a grain-free meat-based kibble(dry Taste of the Wild) and raw meat and bone a couple times a week. As for a snake, what do people think you would feed it if not whole animals? lol tofu? I remember someone making a thread about vegan snakes and I honestly just laughed. Snakes absolutely cannot survive on anything but whole prey animals, nor can they eat any kind of processed food, or even cooked meat.

Feeding a vegan diet to an animal who is physically built to consume a predominantly meat based diet is not ok to me. If you aren't willing to feed your pet the proper diet, don't own that species of animal, and if you already have it in your possession before going veg, suck it up and do what's best for your pet, and feed an adequate diet for the duration of it's life.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have to say it does bother me that my cats eat meat. I didn't create them to be as they are. It's what they need. And I need their companionship. If anyone argued this with me because I'm vegan my response would be something like this: "it's a valid point IF I actively had a part in their creation such as buying them from a breeder. But as long as there are so many many cats out there that need homes, I'm not going to be faulted for providing them one"

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yeah, I'm fine with feeding my cat meat because it's what she needs. She can't be vegan, and I made a commitment to her when she was adopted to do what's best for her health. I don't feel that's against my veganism at all; I don't need animal products, but she does.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lyf View Post

Hi I wanted to ask you guys a quick question , what if you have a pet at home for example a cat,dog or a snake .

Are you ok to feed those animals meat? or is that against vegeterianism?
There are about a million threads on this, you may find some of them helpful if you try searching

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a cat and dog now, until I moved to this apt I had 2 snakes too, everyone eats what their body was designed to eat with no guilt from me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
As a vegan I could never have pets that eat meat (vegans shouldn't have pets in the first place). Buying meat is not a good thing. Vegans don't buy meat.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

As a vegan I could never have pets that eat meat (vegans shouldn't have pets in the first place). Buying meat is not a good thing. Vegans don't buy meat.
I definitely see how the notion of pets as property could be at odds with vegan ethics. But how would you feel about adopting a vegan animal who needed a home, such as a rabbit, rat, hamster, parrot, etc? Since 1996, I adopted a total of 3 rabbits, 5 gerbils, and 1 hamster from the local shelters (NOT all at the same time!!! Yikes!)- and there were many more vegan animals there whom I could not take in. (I have no experience with birds, but I know there are parrot rescue organizations that could probably use homes for their birds.)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Of course no one should have a pet if they don't want to, but letting dogs and cats die in shelters because "vegans shouldn't have pets" doesn't make sense to me. Vegans that want to live with pets should.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Which just about says it all.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Of course no one should have a pet if they don't want to, but letting dogs and cats die in shelters because "vegans shouldn't have pets" doesn't make sense to me. Vegans that want to live with pets should.
The point "vegans shouldn't be buying pets" makes sense to me, but the above "vegans shouldn't have pets" is just crazy.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

The point "vegans shouldn't be buying pets" makes sense to me, but the above "vegans shouldn't have pets" is just crazy.
Extreme sanity does seem crazy sometimes, yes.

Not a perfect analogy but, quite frankly, I can't be arsed to think of a better one right now ..

Would it be wrong for a vegan to wear fur so long as they didn't buy it?

If so, why so?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Not a perfect analogy but, quite frankly, I can't be arsed to think of a better one right now ..

If so, why so?
A dead animal is not the same as a live animal that need to be taken care of.

I've debated this issue so many times that it's just getting frustrating now to talk to people about it.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

If so, why so?
I'll euthanize my rescued pets if you euthanize your meat-eating family members. Deal?

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I've debated this issue so many times that it's just getting frustrating now to talk to people about it.
Me too.

I will just have to continue to find it sadly amusing that the supply of abandonded pets always has, and always will, exponentialy increase to meet the perceived demand.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'll euthanize my rescued pets if you euthanize your meat-eating family members. Deal?
This is the same dum-bassed logic that meat eaters use in the old "but, but if we stopped eating animals then all the animals would have to be killed .." argument Wolfie.

The vegan logic is simply to let those already born and bred live out their lives but don't breed anymore.

The vegan implementation of that logic is to remove ourselves from the demand end of the supply and demand chain.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I read in a Hare-Krishna book about how they do not purchase, provide, serve, or cook meat. I liked that and added it to my ways. I live with three cats and a bunny. The cats are my housemates, and I never feed them. If she is away on vacation, someone else comes to the house to tend to them.

I will never accept a pet cat which I would have to take care of. I chose a bunny years ago because they are essentially vegetarians. I also used to have many rat friends, but they die so quickly, it tore me apart. Bunnies live a good long while and my bunny has free roam of my room and hangs out with the cats too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts