VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry I've been quiet, been busy with work etc.

I turned vegetarian on the 9th of march and I'm doing really well, only one slip up...my friend made rice crispie cake and put animal fat in there and told me after I had eaten it. I nearly cried! *blush*

I'm really happy with my new 'lifestyle' am a lot more healthy now. But my whole family and most of my friends are against it. I know I should ignore this. But it hurts, today we went out for dinner. There was twelve of us (various member of the family) and the only veggie option on the menu was stuffed pepper and veg, so I had it. It was really nice. But everyone was comment that I'm a freak, and joking that they told the chef to put chicken in it.
they broadcasted to the whole pub that I am veggie, the waitress smiled at me and said good choice me too. When she walked away my grandad when, ah she's a freak too then!

Its really getting to me, its getting to the point where I want to move out. My dad was like ill give you a lift to work if you eat this bacon sandwich. I didn't. The smell of bacon makes me feel sick. He gave me a lift anyway but with the hassle of your so annoying and aukward for going veggie. They keep joking about eating my animals too (I have rabbits and hamsters)

Some of my friends have been really nasty about it too...Its really getting to me. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. I hate it so much.

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to tell like minded people.

Xxx

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Have you told them about your feelings towards this abuse?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not exactly. They see it as a joke though, its not a joke to me...its well....bullying!! Its been pick on mai day today cause aswell as that It was what I was wearing/how my hair is/the colour I painted my nails etc.

Parents don't want me to keep it up. Think its a stupid phase.

Sorry for moaning. I hate it so much. I wish they'd be happy for me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
You have to tell them then, even if it's hard.
Even if they think it's a joke, it's obviously not the same for you, so I encourage you to make a stand.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
My uncles were bullies about my vegetarianism and my choice not to drink alcohol. In my case, it became so bad that I decided not to visit them anymore. I definitely don't need the extra ridicule during the holidays, those times are stressful enough. I have anxiety disorders so I cannot and will not tolerate that sort of thing. Wonder how they'd react knowing I've been vegan for quite some time now.

My advice in your case would be to be assertive and let them know your vegetarianism isn't up for discussion (unless they're genuinely curious maybe) and you'd rather not hear the jokes. Let them know they're alienating you rather than allowing you to have a more pleasant experience with them. It took my dad and brother a little while to get used to the changes too but I didn't receive quite the same amount of ridicule from them as you have from your parents. I was very stubborn about my choices, gave my dad plenty of information when he worried about my health, refused to eat food they tried to sneak meat into, cooked for myself and they learned to accept it. I hope your family becomes more accepting too. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am sorry your going through this mishap with your family and friends, your not alone we all experience this. Not only this lifestyle but other parts of our life people make fun of. I would not take it personally and just ignore them. If they continue crossing bounderies don't go out to eat with them no more make new friends that are Veg and go places with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks rhys, I suffer from anxiety issues, depression/low self esteem. So I find it very hard to ignore it all...they all tell me to be happy and stuff then they say that. *rolls eyes* they know how I get. My parent know I'm struggling at the moment with my 'head issues'...Yet still do it.

I'm not gonna let them stop me. I'm hoping they will become more accepting as they realise I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for replying, I knew VB would understand!! Xxx

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Too be honest them making fun of your decision is not going to help you in depression wise. I been undergoing some anxiety and depression for years and recent years Its increased because of negative comments from certain family members . Not about my Vegetarian choices but about other things in my personal life.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it doesn't help at all to be honest, its constant. They don't see that though!

Since turning veggie I've eaten more, and eaten healthy. They don't see this either. They just see the fact its different to them! *sighs*

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry hun. I still deal with my family and me being vegetarian, and most recently, going completely vegan. It got to the point that one sunday meal with my grandma that I got so mad about her "jokes" that I was so shaken from holding my response inside that I end up knocking almost everything on the table over by accident. My mom could see that I was so mad and she cleaned up my mess and I left. She told me the afterward that she was happy that I kept my mouth shut. I told her I was fiercely vegan and that it is extremely important to me and that negative comments and jokes are both immature and unacceptable; I mean, I don't badger them about things they do *uh um eat meat* even though it bothers me, so why am I getting picked on? Most of it is just learning to let it go. They honestly probably don't ever think about where meat and dairy comes from. It was once a living, breathing, beautiful creature that was abuse for its milk and eggs or killed for its flesh. Just prove you are the bigger person
Blessed be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a tough one. Even though it is hard, tell them how you feel and brush it off. If they still nag on you after you tell them how you truly feel, then its on them and there is nothing you can do. I would just do your best to ignore what everyone else says. I know it is really difficult to do that, however if you allow peoples words to affect you, your life will be much tougher than necessary. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
you need to tell them that vegetarianism is important to you. tell them that you don't find what they're saying funny and if they respect you and care about you they will stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am vegan and teetotal and I've endured plenty of teasing, bullying, and abuse for it. However, if you act with respect for yourself and others, eventually people will take you seriously and respect your lifestyle. You don't need to justify yourself to anybody. This is your lifestyle and your choice and the best thing to do is get new friends and get away from your family when you can. After all, if your friends are really your friends, they would treat you with respect.

It gets better!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dont know the entire situation or story but from what you said sounds like they are dumb asses and your probably better off if you move out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, today has been a lot better I was out to dinner with my mum and she said 'your really serious about this aren't you?' I nodded and she went... Oh ok.

So yea! Hm! :s

·
Registered
526 Posts
You need to put your foot down. You don't have to be mean about it, but let them know that you don't find it funny. Hopefully, they will respect that.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I think the younger you are the more likely people will feel they can cross boundaries. I went veg*n in my 40's and only have been ridiculed only once and, really, it was not that bad.

I think you will find that the older you get, people will tease you less and less. Not that that makes you feel any better today, but it does get better.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd personally ignore them, they want a reaction, they want to see you break. They are not worth your time. I had to do that and I finally get no comments.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am 18, turned 18 last month. So am legally am an adult, can do what I want! Lol.

Thanks for your replies, I'm just gonna ignore it. Its pathetic and childish eh?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbailey View Post

I am 18, turned 18 last month. So am legally am an adult, can do what I want! Lol.

Thanks for your replies, I'm just gonna ignore it. Its pathetic and childish eh?
I think your age is the main issue. A lot of teenagers flirt with vegetarianism/veganism, and are soon bullied or talked out of it, because they don't really believe in the cause - they just do it because they think it's a cool thing to be. That's what your parents thought. Once they see you are serious, and are sticking to it, they will give up. Hang on in there, and just ignore them, or respond to every comment by a loud sigh and a upward flick of your eyes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts