VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
That's an interesting challenge. Can you use stuff you already have in the cupboard?

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Hmmm - are we not talking about rent/utilities and those sorts of things?...

I know this can be done. I've had to do it out of necessity in my not-so-distant past, going the entire month without spending much of ANYTHING... - I could probably do so even now, EXCEPT for gas for my car...
Unfortunately it sucks gas and I have a ton of commuting between my own work, my daughter's work, three kids at different schools...

Do you have a freezer or well stocked cupboards? That helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's amazing. I was just wondering how much most people spend on food. I mean to say, on average how much do most people spend on food in a month. I spend 20 dollars a month on everything. I pay for all my own food.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, anything in the pantry is fair game. The $100 is for food (both groceries & eating out) and all entertainment (including a haircut prior to dinner with an ex). I'm not counting necessities like rent, utilities, comic book printing/shipping fees, etc. To put things into perspective, I live in San Francisco, one of the most expensive cities in the US to live in. You'd be amazed at how fast little things add up.

Tom, where do you live? That's great that you're able to live on just $20 a month for food. Does this include the occasional restaurant meal?

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I have lived very frugally in the past, but 20$ a MONTH? Come on. Either you're deluding yourself or eating bread and water or you grow ALL your own foods (and even that would cost more than 20$ a month to grow, I imagine.)

Show us a typical shopping list and expenses so we can learn how you do it...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am trying to keep to a budget of $150 a WEEK for my family of 4 and I am finding it very difficult. I break it every week and hit the atm.

i am terrible with budgets!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i am tracking food spending and for my family of 4 i am averaging 100.00/week. we are vegan and eat a fair share of organic food. that includes toiletries and laundry and dish soap.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bleh.. I would love to see if this could be possible for me, but I'm not even going to try since I have some monthly bills that get deducted automatically from my bank account, plus I spend at least $20 a week on the Rats for CareFresh and food, plus any emergency vet trips that might pop up (a lot can happen to a rat in a month, you never know). So yeah, $80 for rats, $18 for Netflix. That leaves... $2 for me. If you count the car insurance that was automatically taken out at the beginning of Feb, I'm already $450 in the hole for the month, lol. Just ain't happening...

But good luck and more power to those of ya who try! I think it's a great idea...

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
That's actually given me an idea for a new thread Katt. I can't fathom spending 80$ a month on my pets, much as I love them, but I'm sure many people have the budget to spend far more... interesting...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
For all of college I did that on $80 a month or less. Now I splurge and have $150 a month.

And I never starved... I just planned my shopping well.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
smedley and TNS i would love to hear some tips for being frugal, i seem to go over my budget every week, i cant seem to stick to it.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
If you don't have the money, you can't go over... I had X amount of money for food. No more. It wasn't an option of 'going over' because I would have overdrawn my bank account which would have led to more problems!!

You just go for simpler and simpler foods. Bulk beans, rice, potatoes and fill in the gaps with nutritional items - no frills, no snacks, no convenience foods, no processed junk, no going out to eat.

We shop at discount scratch-n-dent outlets, farmers markets, Asian markets and co-ops.

We make a list and then cross off about half. It's amazing what you truely can do without, when faced with that as your only option...

·
Registered
99 Posts
We used to spend over $100 a week on food,etc. We've pared it down to $40-$60 a week depending on what we need. The $40-60 a week covers all food, household items, cat food, litter, for 2 people and 2 kitties. Prices keep going up where we live though, so it's tough to cut it down much lower.

I always look for deals like $1 a bag for frozen veggies or 99cents for 5 lbs of potatos. Whenever a staple like brown rice, whole wheat pasta and other goods are on sale, i stock up.

I also make my own soups and rice bowls and freeze them in individual serving sizes. Much better than the store bought versions and so much cheaper.
(and salt free)

·
Registered
336 Posts
For myself (vegetarian, not vegan) and my omni boyfriend I spend about $80 every two weeks for groceries, which includes stuff like toilet paper and cat litter or laundry soap, etc. So roughly $160 a month.. oh, that also includes cat food.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Verdant, cool thread.

I started tracking our expenses starting January 1st. I had an idea how much we were spending but now I have it in a spreadsheet. I can compare how we are doing compared to last, but I think it will take a few months to even out.

When stuff is on special, we tend to double up ( like the 1 kg can of Maxwell House coffee ). We found tofu at Costco that is $ 2.67 for 3 packages, so that's 2 weeks of meals * happy chick here *

I don't include dog and cat food ( we buy premium stuff for the furkids )

and since we don't eat out ( try and find a decent Veggie place in the Toronto suburbs, hah ) our "entertainment" costs are to a minimum.

I cook and bake everything.....soups, bread, muffins, you name it, I am definitely a kitchen witch. ( girlfriend who cannot boil water is very happy too *chuckles* )

·
Registered
195 Posts
Geez, I'm impressed. I spend at least $500 a month on food (4 cats, 1 rabbit, and 2 people) and miscellaneous stuff. At least. The rabbit alone is at least $10 a week. And we make most meals from scratch. I must buy expensive ingredients. I've started baking more, and that has cut it down a little.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts