VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering for help and advice about aerophobia. My feelings about flying encompass a number of different fears about the transport and have got steadily worse as I've needed to fly more frequently than in the past.

I know there are plenty of people like this and I thought it'd be a good place to discuss your thoughts on the issue.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I flew for the first time in my life a year ago. I loved it, myself
I hate heights, but the plane was different. What scares you about flying?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I was scared of flying the first time I went on a plane, but after the first 10 minutes of being in the air, it wasn't so bad

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i only find some flying scary. i hate being on commercial airliners.
valium works great to calm me but i believe it's not that easy to get in the uk. sometimes i have a ridiculously expensive drink at the airport before boarding or i'll drown out the sounds of the plane with earplugs and music
i also remind myself that most planes crash on takeoff and landing and there's usually little fuel left when we land so the fire will be smaller. so the only really dangerous part is the first 5 minutes

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
The take-off puts my heart in my throat every time. Odds are better at being in a plane crash than winning the lottery (I'm assuming) and I used to play the lottery sometimes, so then of course I'm going to think a plane trip is a roll of the dice.

I don't trust machines. I've worked in factories building this and that. Not Airplane parts, but I mean, I've seen over and over what it takes to make parts fast and cheap and what kind of flaws slip through the cracks. That's what happens with many plane crashes, some little defective part caused it. Could be an older plane that didn't get maintained properly, or on a new plane they didn't realize some new design change would end up causing such a problem.

An awful lot of famous people have died in plane crashes.

Ok, so next to not wanting to die or get seriously injured, my big fear is my Dog would suddenly be without me for the rest of his life, and not only that, He probably would always wonder why I didn't come back. He wouldn't know what happened to me (most likely). Then there's my Wife, who would know what happened to me, but find it way too hard to accept. I have already told her if I die in a plane crash, she better get whatever she can from the airline (money), and most, if not all, can go to an Animal sanctuary.

I've had at least 20 dreams of being in plane crashes.

Damn terrorists ****ed up my ability to take a water bottle filled with vodka on the plane.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
ok I have fear of flying, thanks Laika now I know the name for it

I have flown about 10 times in my life, various distances and the fear has steadily grown with each flight. I have avoided flying for about 3 years now and thought I really wouldn't need to fly ever again, but my sister lives across the country and is getting married blah blah blah, I gotta fly 2 times this year and I am dreading it!!!

First of all, I feel deep down inside that we were not meant to be at those altitudes for an extended amount of time, it messes with our circulation, lymph and breathing...all not good.
Second, is the confinement. I cannot easily move around, or leave. Being trapped is a horrible feeling.
Third is the small space, airplanes should be about 4 times bigger inside.
Fourth is the people, if the plane was empty most of my anxiety would diminish, I loathe being trapped with people, especially if they try to talk to me, I also get freaked out by them staring at me bc I am scared looking from being on a plane.
Fifth is the horrible noise from the engines, it is constant, loud and really messes with my head I can't concentrate with that kind of noise.

Add to that all the crap with security now and I seem to always get singled out for extra searches probably bc I'm so nervous looking from getting ready to fly that I look suspicious. Getting felt up by security is not the best way to calm one's anxiety.

If there was a party airline created by Snoop Dogg maybe I would pay whatever amount to fly it, if I could smoke bowls the whole flight and chillax with fellow stoners it would be a totally different story.

So I gotta fly in November, not sure the plan yet other than a lot of xanax and my calm cool brother as a chaperone. Any tips are greatly welcome

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Second, is the confinement. I cannot easily move around, or leave. Being trapped is a horrible feeling.
Third is the small space, airplanes should be about 4 times bigger inside.
Fourth is the people, if the plane was empty most of my anxiety would diminish, I loathe being trapped with people, especially if they try to talk to me, I also get freaked out by them staring at me bc I am scared looking from being on a plane.

Add to that all the crap with security now and I seem to always get singled out for extra searches probably bc I'm so nervous looking from getting ready to fly that I look suspicious. Getting felt up by security is not the best way to calm one's anxiety.
^^ This. My discomfort with flying is about claustrophopia, not aerophobia. Flying used to be fun, almost like a privilege, but they've turned it into such an ordeal. It's still the safest way to go, but being controlled by corporations, vendors and the government for such a long time just sucks.

Also, when I fly, even though I'm packed in with all those people, I feel completely isolated. The only ones I can possibly relate to are the babies that are gurgling or peeking at me. They're the only ones I'll make eye-contact with. Thankfully, I don't have to fly anymore.

You should take along stuff to insulate yourself from the reality. If you like to read, take your favorite book. If you have a laptop, take along some earplugs and movies. (Make sure your unit has a good battery charge on it.) Go to the bathroom, even if you don't have to go, just to stretch your legs. If you can, sit next to a baby; they can be very reassuring!

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I think Hertz and Avis should rent planes to anyone with a drivers license. Human life is cheap. Live life to it's fullest, crash into Mt. Rushmore.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have a horrible fear of flying. I think the fear of flying comes from people who have control issues. I am not a control freak when it comes to other people, but have to be in control of my circumstances.

Psychologically, two things are in place:

1. I'm not driving (as if I could drive a plane)
2. We cannot pull over to the side of the road if there is a problem.

I understand the math of the safety from a probability standpoint, but it still doesn't help.

When I fly short distances, I have to have a drink. There is no way I can fly over an ocean. The fear sends me into a complete panic. It is so bad, I feel compelled to not change the feeling of fear as if it is rational.

As a child, I flew back and forth to France several times without any fear, so I don't know where this comes from.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
For me flying is both exiting and a bit scary. I look at it like this though: I will die when I'm meant to die and getting on a plane or not will not cause or prevent it.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i am usually scared the very few minutes. as was said before those are the most dangerous. i just try to distract myself then. after i am fine, lookin out of tht window and all. not a big fan of flights with many turbulences. my worst flight was going from Israel home a few years ago. a few hours of shaking, i was going nuts. a few drinks helped

·
Registered
992 Posts
The only reason I fear flying is the fact that I have incredibly sensitive sinuses; big changes in altitude usually feel like somebody's pounding a railroad spike through my face.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I was scared of flying the first time I went on a plane, but after the first 10 minutes of being in the air, it wasn't so bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

For me flying is both exiting and a bit scary. I look at it like this though: I will die when I'm meant to die and getting on a plane or not will not cause or prevent it.
A pretty sensible nutshell there, like food no-one can tell has or no has nuts in.

And as safeless maybe as a lightweight plane, with "phoenix days style lightning" behind it.
EEK!!

As for me, I'll hold onto that 10min settling down time bein true, on a more conventional plane thankyou than in my muse above.

ps, are you sure Ex(c)iting is the best thing?

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Btw, I've not really any idea how come I've quoted two balloons in one click on this darn mobile (oh not safe on a plane!) but them 2 were my intended ones anyway, P.Days' & Teresa..

And no I'm NOT getting in a hot air balloon, perhaps not even a go nowhere cold air balloon.. Hehe...

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

my worst flight was going from Israel home a few years ago. a few hours of shaking, i was going nuts. a few drinks helped
on a Serious Note, any other symptoms to list please, if you feel comfortable (excuse the oxymoron) and able to say? What kinda stress takes place, anyone get panicky like I imagine myself being somewhat...(?) Fyi: I haven't flew since a small kid of about 10y-old or so.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeManEarthSteward View Post

on a Serious Note, any other symptoms to list please, if you feel comfortable (excuse the oxymoron) and able to say? What kinda stress takes place, anyone get panicky like I imagine myself being somewhat...(?) Fyi: I haven't flew since a small kid of about 10y-old or so.
well, maybe "going nuts" is a bit of exaggeration. I wasn't getting hysterical or anything. In case it was badly worded in my first post: it was the plane who was shaking all the time, lol. but inside i was very uncomfortable. Basically most of my thoughts had something to do with plane crash, i couldn't concentrate on anything, the flight seemed way more longer than it already was. Thats what I can remember. Buy yes, a few drinks did help indeed

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have a pretty bad fear of flying. I'm actually much better on long flights because there isn't as much turbulence. I flew recently from Fredericton to Toronto (about 2 hours) and almost had a full-scale panic attack because it was so bumpy. Sedatives help; if you can't have sedatives, wine; if you can't have wine, my sympathies.

There are a couple of non-substance things that help me. I often think about a news article I read a while ago about a plane that veered off the runway during a landing. It was a minor problem, it was corrected within seconds, no one was hurt, and yet it was still news. Considering the hundreds of planes that take off and land every day, that tells me that flying is pretty safe. (On the other hand, how often do you hear about minor car crashes in the news? Hardly ever, because they happen so often that it's not newsworthy.) It also helped to learn that a plane can't just "fall out" of the sky; if something goes wrong, it'll still be airborne for miles and the pilot can guide it to a safe runway.

I know none of this helps all that much when you're actually in a plane. It's a really unfortunate problem. There are lots of books and programs that can help you overcome it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

Gestapo TSA scares me more than anything else, as far as traveling is concerned. I'll raft the nearest river to get to my destination before I encounter them.
Oh, I have some advice for that too. If you want to get through security without difficulty, the best thing to do is be white. Works for me every time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts