VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't know if this counts- Ingrid Newkirk.

She is the Pres. of PETA. I read "You Can Save the Animals' and it changed my life.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My favorite animal rights writer would be activist/environmentalist Jeremy Rifkin who wrote "Beyond Beef". PETA recommends this book to anyone interested in becoming a vegetarian. It is a thorough book that describes in detail how the modern beef industry grew in popularity - through corruption and deceit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
oooh Ingrid Newkirk. One of my favourite quotes came from her...

"Recognise meat for what it really is: the pesticide- and antibiotic-laden corpse of a tortured animal."

I had it printed on a T-Shirt using my printer and special transer paper, it looks great! Haven't worn it yet though lol

Forgot to say -- I like Juliet Gellatley, she's the leader of Vegetarians and Vegans International Voice for Animals (Viva!). www.viva.org.uk. It's mainly an english campaigning group but has a USA site too

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Originally posted by VeggiTash:

oooh Ingrid Newkirk. One of my favourite quotes came from her...

"Recognise meat for what it really is: the pesticide- and antibiotic-laden corpse of a tortured animal."

I like that too, informative, yet concise.

I also like Peter Singer's Animal Liberation: extremely depressing, but necessary. Some criticize the lack of philosophical discourse, but as the author points out in the beginning of the book, it is not written as such, but rather as a common sense appeal to the average citizen who would be bored silly with a scholarly philosophical work. I don't see how anyone who read the entire book, and had any good conscience at all, could not change their view of mass-market meat and dairy products. The problem is, many people would rather not face the horrid details, and therefore, avoid books like these in general.

I have not yet read Tom Regan, but it's on my short list. I've heard his writing on the subject is good.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I support Tom Regan's view more than Singer's. As far as I know (haven't read any books by him) Regan could be more academic, but, basing my opinion on a short essay I read by him, he is pretty common sense, writing examples etc. The basic difference between Singer and Regan is that Singer is utilitarian and Regan isn't. Regan's view is more "absolute" than Singer's.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
He probably wouldn't be considered an activist per se (though I don't know anything about what he does besides write) but -- Richard Adams. I read his book The Plauge Dogs when I was a teen. Before I read it, I didn't know vivisection even existed; we didn't have PETA or the internet back then, it wasn't well publicized.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Peter Singer.. definitely agree. He is also a very good writer of alternative views in human rights. I think he is brilliant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.