VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the best recipe I have ever made up myself.
Especially since I made it up as I went! I am actually eating it right now. It's soo spicy, and tasty!

Spicy Orange-BBQ Tofu

This makes enough for one.

Ingredients:

Tofu itself-

-1/3 a 14oz package of extra firm tofu. (water-packed, drain before frying)

- Cayenne Pepper

- Onion Powder

- Garlic Powder

- Flour

- Salt

- Oil for frying

Sauce-

- 1/2 cup vegan BBQ sauce

- 1/4 a small orange

- 2 heaping teaspoons orange marmalade

- Cayenne Pepper, to taste.

1) Take apart the tofu (with hands for a more nugget texture) into bite size chunks. Lay out on a plate and season with cayenne pepper, onion, and garlic powder.

2) To bread the tofu, take 1/2 a cup of flour, and salt it. Roll around the seasoned tofu to generously cover with the flour mixture.

3) Pan, or deep fry all tofu until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels.

4) Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Heat a pan to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.

5) add tofu to the pan, and cover with the BBQ sauce mixture. Stir, and simmer until sauce becomes a glaze. Serve.

Tofu should have a chewy texture when this is done. I ate this over rice, but perhaps crusty bread and a couple sides of veggies would do fine!

Oh yeah, it's really awesome when you make it spicy enough to make your nose run.. hehe. I loooove spicy foods.

Feel free to post your most yummy tofu recipes! I would like some more to try.. Perhaps some new ideas!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh that sounds sooo good!!

i've been addicted to scrambled tofu on toast lately.. i marinate it in this spicy thai sauce (sort of sweet & spicy & garlic-y) and fry it up with tomato, mushrooms and celery...

i stick tofu in about everything i can because i'm fairly new to it and finally figured out how to make it not suck *Marinate!!!* so yeah.. i'm not much of a cook yet but i'm working on it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mmm.. scrambled tofu... I like putting it on a whole wheat, toasted bagel.... But I have never made scrambled tofu from scratch. I use Fantastic Foods' Tofu Scrambler, and I add more veggies to it (mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, and onions... mmmm... )

I think I'm going to try your method... Sounds yummy!!! What texture of tofu do you use?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I love cooking with tofu, because tofu takes on the flavors of the dish you are making. I have just started really cooking with tofu, and I love it. What I have done recently is make tofu tacos, by cutting the tofu in small chunks, I then take green onion, a little olive oil, and heat up the onion till it is clearish ( you can also use regular onions). I then make a mixture of tomato sauce and hot salsa, and mix it together. Throw in the tofu, and the sauce.

The tofu takes on the flavor of the sauce. I then take 6" corn tortillas, spread a little refried beans.. no salt and natural. I heat it in the microwave for less than a minute, to heat it up slightly. I then put the tofu mixture in between top it with soy cheese and Viola...

Oh I heat up the tofu till it is lightly brown, and has taken on the flavor of the sauce nicely.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love tofu!

Here are some of my favorite tofu recipes from Chef Deborah:

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/75130.html

These are not all tofu recipes, but they are all good!

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/75454.html

Tofu chicken nuggets, mmmmmmm!

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/71476.html

Kung Pao Tofu

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/72474.html

Tofu Kofu and Seitan recipes

Tofu Kofu is a seitan made with wheat and tofu and it is so good made into a sandwich with Subway bread, cheese, hot pepper slices, lettuce, miso mayo, tomatoes and pickles. MMMMMMMMM!

Other tofu recipes I make:

Tofu Yogurt

6 ounces silken tofu (firm, extra firm, lowfat, whatever)

smidgen of lemon and vanilla extracts

Sweetener of choice

Soy or rice milk to thin

Blend in container with boat motor (hand stick blender) until smooth, and add fruit sweetened preserves to taste (Polaner) and enjoy.

This is basically Deb's recipe, I could not find it.

Another recipe I make is:

Tofu Sour Cream

6 ounces silken tofu

about 1 tsp. lemon juice

dashes of garlic and onion powder

Blend in container with boat motor until smooth and serve with dals, quesadillas, etc.

Bon Apetit!

Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FafaFrappy: it appears to be "firm" or "extra firm" which is really all i've ever tried so far. haven't tried the freezing it first method either.. so many things to try!!

soon as i get some $$ i want to make a tofu "cheese"cake but we'll see how that goes

·
Registered
904 Posts
I made the spicy orange BBQ tofu tonight. It was good! Even though I did add a bit too much cayenne pepper.
I put it over some brown rice and mixed the sauce in with the rice a bit. Very yummy recipe FafaFrappy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I made it again last night, and I couldn't taste the cayenne pepper in the actual (unboiled) sauce, so I added more... And whoa... it was waaay too much, but still tasty. I ended up getting used to the spiciness. heh..

So yeah, tip for anyone who tries it, if you think you haven't added enough cayenne pepper, you have. Keep in mind most of the liquid ingredients boil off to make the sauce denser. I learned that the hard way.
....still tasty though... hehe

brown rice makes it so awesome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts