VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to eat alot of salads, but in attempts to gain weight I had to forgo them because they made me feel too full for too few calories...however, I've recently gotten back into the salad thing by adding delicious foods like raisins, chickpeas, and tasty dressings.

I was wondering what everyone's favorite salad combinations are, and if people have innovative ideas for things to throw in them and make them more of a "meal" and less of a "stomach filler"...

Lately, I've been doing greens, brocolli, cauliflower, raisins, walnuts, chickpeas, and miso-tahini dressing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you tried adding avacado to salad for added fat and vitamins plus yumminess? It's good with anything, but I like it especially with greens, spicy sporuts, sunflower seeds and mushrooms in tahini dressing or really any dressing. Olives can increase calories too as can sundrried tomatoes. A nice lettuceless salas is red peppers, chopped avacado, and cherry tomatoes with raw seeds. Try pasta and noodle salads for more calories as well and try eating your salads rolled up in tortillas or flat bread with hummus for extra whole grains, protein and good fat!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We have a salad bar at school so I usually add garbanzo beans (chickpeas), kidney beans, green/black olives, and whatever vegetables (green pepper etc) they have laying around.

My favorite dressing is Kraft Creamy Garlic...I know, not the healthiest...but I love me some garlic

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
My favorite salads include Annie's goddess dressing, spinach, chickpeas, cucumbers, shredded carrots, sprouts, avacado, some nuts/seeds and maybe some sliced strawberries.

When I was eating eggs/dairy I would add feta to this.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
lettuce, tomato (LOTS of tomato
), spinach, chopped apple and tofu (I usually use a 'chinese' style glaze/marinade and pan fry it).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lettuce..(many varities) Tomatoes..Carrots..cucumbers.olives... sun dried tomatoes..all color peppers...peppercini..broccoli..cauliflower..and every other veggie that i have around...with french dress...my fave...or one of those wishbone spray dressings love those.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've got too many "favorites" to list just one. Dinner tonight is Mexican leftovers (rice, beans, taco "meat"), onions, and tomatoes over a bed of romaine hearts, baby spinach, and broccoli sprouts, with a generous quantity of Amy's Black Bean and Corn Salsa in lieu of dressing.

Mixed greens, sprouts, tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and feta w/ balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and Greek seasoning is another favorite.

For a sweeter treat, I love baby spinach, diced apples, raisins or craisins, toasted walnuts, onion, and shredded carrot in a orange dressing (throw a mandarin orange into the blender, add a bit of olive oil and a dash of salt, and puree).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try toasting walnuts and sprinkling over salads, or add cold baby new potatoes or cold wild/brown/red rice.

Roasted butternut squash, sweet potato, aubergine, courgette or peppers is really nice

Olives, sweetcorn, chickpeas, all kinds of beans. Add herbs as an ingredient, not a garnish. Parsley is very good for you!

My main thing is varying the salad by how I cut the vegetables; grate, julienne, tear etc

I adore pickles! But I know that won't help with adding calories...

Try mango cubes or slices perhaps, or apple or pear.

My favourite salsa is avocado, vine-ripened tomatoes, spring onions, chilli, coriander and lime juice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whenever we grill vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, peppers, corn, portabello mushrooms, etc.), I always grill a lot so I can have leftovers. I chop them coarsely and then add cold grilled vegetables to a mix of lettuces. If you're a lacto-vegetarian, you could add some goat cheese. Delicious!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Miss Pickle,

Lucky you, that your New Year's resolution is to gain some weight! Sure do wish I could just offer you the 10 lbs. I'm trying to get rid of. . .

Seriously, though, if you love salad and are trying to gain weight, nuts and seeds (and their oils) can help a lot. Walnuts are supposed to prevent cancer, so put them in. Almonds are good for every part of your body -- put lots of them in too! Cashews are just incredibly yummy, so add them for sheer joy.

I haven't ever tried it myself, but I bet you could concoct a pretty rich and vegan "creamy" dressing using tofu and a lusciously flavored oil (walnut oil is my current favorite). Blend them together with some spices.

Other ways to add calories to salads: add avocados, hearts of palm, coconut (not that weird, if you consider South Asian salad dressings).

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Salad greens, olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, mushrooms, tomatoes and sautéed zucchini with garlic and onions is something my sister likes to eat.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
For what's it's worth...

Gonzo Chickenless Salad

INGREDIENTS

1/2 c Yves fake chicken cubes (I have made this with herb tofu which is also good)

2 c bagged mixed salad greens

1 c baby spinach

1/3 c rinsed chickpeas

1 tsp chopped pecans

1 scallion, sliced

3 slices avocado

2 tsp olive oil

1 1/2 tsp balsamic or red wine vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION

Fry the fake chicken (or tofu). Mix the greens and spinach, chickpeas, tofu or fake chicken or tofu, nuts, and scallion together in a bowl. Top with the avocado, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Pear and Gorgonzola Salad

1 bag organic mesclun salad mix

4 oz. gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)

2 medium pears sliced

2 oz. candied walnuts

Balsamic Vinagrette recipe

1 Tablespoon honey

1 Tablespoon balsalmic vinegar

1 Tablespoon dijon mustard

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon Provence Herbs

salt and pepper to taste

Candied Walnuts

Melt 1 Tablespoon butter with 1/8 cup brown sugar, stir in walnuts and let them cool down on a plate.

Toss all ingredients together and serve with baguette.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts