VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
always trying to get more veggies in my diest. i never liked the carrot raisin salads, i would see offered in supermarket appetizing depts. but i make one with raw, shredded carrots thats great.

i shread carrots, then make a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice instead od the usual vinegar. i add some sweetner, i use splenda, then add or top with a lot of crushed, unsalted peanuts. you get sweetness, savoriness, crunchiness too. sometimes i add some veggie mayo. people who don't usually like carrot salad like this simple one.

any other easy, tasty ideas?

i never loved cooked carrots, but maybe someone knows a way to cook them that will change my mind!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Does this count as cooked?

you can also add grated carrot to any tomato based sauce.

Carrot cake

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup dyhydrated cane juice or other sweetener

1/8 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

3/4 cup soy milk

1/4 cup oil

replacement for one egg

about 2 grated carrots

about 1 tsp grated ginger

Mix dry ingredients. Then add the others just until the moisture is absorbed. Pour into an oiled cake pan and bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Test for doneness.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Cooking makes them a lot sweeter (bleh) and I don't like the softness/mushiness either. Raw is best

I snack on them whole or add them shredded to all kinds of salads and slaws.

But often I just buy a 10 lbs bag and juice the whole thing.

Also: carrot-apple and tomato-carrot-celery juice is yummy!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alyssa,

to juice a carrot a juicer will give great juice. I have one of those whole food blenders and that will do the job, I don't know if you could do it with a regular blender or not.

the combination of carrot and apple together is awesome!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One way I really enjoy carrots is to just cook them tender, so they're not mushy, but crunchy...which is the only way I eat them cooked.

Just put them in a pot and let the cook for about 5 mintues on medium heat. Then just add, some butter(about 2 tbsp), some sugar(brown or white, about 11/2 tbsp), some fresh herbs(dill works great, but any fresh herbs like parsley will do), and some salt and pepper.

Cover the pot for about 2-3 mins on high, so that the glaze reduces, and coats the carrots. They'll still be crunchy and have a sweet coat on them. It's great!

Good luck

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i like to grate them and add them to potato pancakes.

i also do what bf does and steam them gently until just tender and then sautee them in a glaze of margarine, maple syrup, fresh basil, salt and cracked black pepper.

they are also great chopped into french fry shapes, tossed in olive oil, and baked on a cookie sheet at about 400 until cooked through and a bit crispy on the outside. (i do this with all kinds of root veggies...beets and yams and turnips, etc.).

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
when i'm making them just for dinner with other things, i boil them normally and then drain the water out, add a tablespoon of earth balance or margarine, and a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, and mix together until the carrots are sort of glazed.

yummy.

they go really well with potato and squash.

or, i'll mash them up with butternut squash, margarine and brown sugar again, spread into a small casserole dish and bake in the oven until the top is slightly browned. you can add sliced almonds to the top in the last few minutes of baking to add some crunch.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I'm not a big fan of cooked carrots either, though a few cooked carrots mixed in with other vegetables, is ok with me.

I have a couple of grated raw carrot recipes that I make frequently. Grated in a vegetable grater with 1/4-inch holes. yea, shredded.

·
Registered
927 Posts
They make a nice contribution to vegetable sushi - I cut them into long, narrow strips and blanche them in boiling water very briefly - just to intensify the color and make then a little less hard - they should still be very crisp and crunchy though. Some favorite combinations -

carrot, portabello mushroom, and scallion

carrot, avocado, and bell pepper

carrot, asparagus, and lettuce

Blessings, Tom

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I don't like cooked carrots much either. Like Soilman though - if they are part of a medley they are okay.

I julienne raw carrots on salads mostly.

I also add shredded steamed carrots to my Veggie-MeetLoaf and Veggie-Burger recipes.

I like pickled baby carrots (when I can find them)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I make this (with some substitutions).

3 pounds carrots, sliced 1/2-inch diagonally

1/4 cup honey (I use maple syrup)

2 tablespoons butter (I use EB)

1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely minced

1) In large saucepan, add carrots and fill with enough salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered until tender, about 10 minutes.

2) While carrots are cooking, cook honey, butter, and gingerroot in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until butter is melted.

3) Drain carrots well, place in serving bowl and toss with honey glaze, salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 8.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nobody has mentioned soup yet! Maybe that's because it's summer.

This is one of my favorite ways to eat carrots, and it's really simple, too.

Carrot Cumin Soup

1 medium onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine

2 to 3 large carrots, sliced thin (about 1 3/4 cups)

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste

2 cups water

In a saucepan cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add carrots, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add water and simmer mixture, covered, 25 minutes, or until carrots are very tender.

In a blender purée soup until smooth.

Divide soup between 2 soup bowls and garnish with toasted pecans or other nuts, if desired.

Makes 2 3/4 cups, serving 2.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Carrot Dogs are the BEST!
I lightly boil them to wear they aren't mushy and then slap em on my indoor grill and put into a toasted hotdog bun and top on all the fixins! I love mustard and vegan coleslaw!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Carrot Tzimmes (Jewish Passover Casserole I make)

12 Carrots - scraped

3 Medium Sweet Potatoes - peeled

10 Pitted Prunes

2-3 oz Orange Juice

pinch of nutmeg

3 Tbs Margarine (sub. veg. marg.)

2 oz. Honey (sub. veg. sweetner)

Cut carrots into 1/2 " slices

Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2" slices

Boil until tender--not soft-- about 9 minutes

Arrange evenly in a casserole dish with other ingredients

Cover with foil - bake at 350° for 30 minutes

uncover-and bake another 8-10 minutes

serves 6-8

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I like to cook the *bleep* out of them, add margerine, a bit of sugar, salt, pepper and random herbs.

I do like fresh shredded carrots in pasta and potato salads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts