VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know we've had a lot of movie threads lately, but I'm curious to see what others think on this subject. What are some of your favorite movie moments. They don't necessarily have to be from a film that you think is fantastic, but just a scene that's stuck with you.

I recently discovered that the BFI (British Film Institute) is offering a special showing this season of The Wizard of Oz. I was (am) very excited! In the midst of my squeals of delight, I was trying to explain to my s.o. about the joy of the "opening the door" scene.

I can vividly remember watching this part of the film each year as a kid (back when it came on only once a year
). You know,
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Dorothy's sucked up in the tornado, we see Miss Gulch on her bike, the witch freaks the hell out her, the house lands *splat* and then.....Dorothy slowly opens to door to what she believes is Kansas. The audience sees the black and white melted away into beautiful, brilliant, technicolor.[/SPOILER]
Amazing, wonderful......ahhh. At this point in the conversation, I was so immersed in bliss, that I think Karl wondered if I'd been self-medicating.

I'm sure there are many such moments, but the other ones that come quickly to mind are:

The moment of revelation in The Sixth Sense, at which point, both I and many of my fellow audience members let out an audible "ohh".

The climax of Field of Dreams (which got me started on this tangent, in another thread). I hadn't yet read the book at the time I saw the film, and was completely taken by the end of the final ballgame. Suddenly, the movie had a whole new meaning.

and of course....

Yoda's revelation of "no...there is another". I can remember the look exchange with my dad (as I was 9 and hadn't quite figured it out yet) as we sat in the now torn-down Lyric Theatre. Good times.

Ah...maybe I should forget this whole teaching thing and work at the local cineplex.

I must note the irony of the fact that we now live in a town that doesn't have ANY operating cinemas (what is wrong with these people).

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i saw the title of this thread and 'field of dreams' was the first thing i thought of.

i'll have to give this one some thought and come back with answers.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
There are ridiculously many favourite moments but here are a couple random ones:

Godfather II, the last scene where Michael is sitting in the chair as an old man.

Silence of the Lambs, the last encounter between Lecter and Clarice before
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]the former escapes[/SPOILER]
, when there's a closeup of Lecter's illuminated face that fills the whole screen.

I don't remember exactly anymore, but Requiem for a Dream, when Kronos Quartet plays the best theme of the movie and we are shown (in a fast-paced manner I think) what has happened to the characters.

Oh, and this is one of my definite favourites:

the Insider, when Pacino's character lets out this beatiful long rant when he has found out that they edited the piece (or took it out or what was it at that point)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hummm... will have to think about this but one that comes to mind right now is Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman, when he's in the school court room defending Charlie.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Okay, so I know we've had a lot of movie threads lately, but I'm curious to see what others think on this subject. What are some of your favorite movie moments. They don't necessarily have to be from a film that you think is fantastic, but just a scene that's stuck with you.

I recently discovered that the BFI (British Film Institute) is offering a special showing this season of The Wizard of Oz. I was (am) very excited! In the midst of my squeals of delight, I was trying to explain to my s.o. about the joy of the "opening the door" scene.

I can vividly remember watching this part of the film each year as a kid (back when it came on only once a year
). You know,
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Dorothy's sucked up in the tornado, we see Miss Gulch on her bike, the witch freaks the hell out her, the house lands *splat* and then.....Dorothy slowly opens to door to what she believes is Kansas. The audience sees the black and white melted away into beautiful, brilliant, technicolor.[/SPOILER]
Amazing, wonderful......ahhh. At this point in the conversation, I was so immersed in bliss, that I think Karl wondered if I'd been self-medicating.

I'm sure there are many such moments, but the other ones that come quickly to mind are:

The moment of revelation in The Sixth Sense, at which point, both I and many of my fellow audience members let out an audible "ohh".

The climax of Field of Dreams (which got me started on this tangent, in another thread). I hadn't yet read the book at the time I saw the film, and was completely taken by the end of the final ballgame. Suddenly, the movie had a whole new meaning.

and of course....

Yoda's revelation of "no...there is another". I can remember the look exchange with my dad (as I was 9 and hadn't quite figured it out yet) as we sat in the now torn-down Lyric Theatre. Good times.

Ah...maybe I should forget this whole teaching thing and work at the local cineplex.

I must note the irony of the fact that we now live in a town that doesn't have ANY operating cinemas (what is wrong with these people).
Awesome. Field of Dreams is my favorite along w/ Good Will Hunting-I have to go see about a girl. Wow.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My examples are dorky, but I'm having a bout of insomnia and have nothing else to do but share:

The scenes in Titanic, when we switch from the fun party below deck to the snore-fest w/the posh crowd and back again. And the last scene, where the underwater ship is re-splendorized for the ghosts (soooo maulin, but makes me cry every time).

Terminator, when the kid takes the picture and you realize that it was the photo that Kyle'd fallen in love with.

2nd Harry Potter, at the Weasly's--I LOVE their house!

Aliens, when she's burning through the grates to get to the girl and ALMOST gets to her in time...

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
In no particular order:

I like old movies, so my first choice is from a 50-year-old movie, The Court Jester; the whole "pellet with the poison" part (actually it's one of my favorite movies, but this part especially stands out).

Quote:
Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!

Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?

Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

Hawkins: A flagon...?

Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

Griselda: Right.

Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Griselda: Just remember that.
Another one is in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, the end, where we find out Darth Vader's true identity. I remember sitting in that movie theater when it was revealed; you coulda heard a pin drop.

My favorite moment in Titanic is when you see the footage of the remains of the ship under water, and as Rose starts telling her story, the wreck of the ship is transformed into its original intact self, with its beautiful lush splendor, at the dock, about to set sail for New York. I always feel a real sense of excitement whenever I watch that scene.

Another favorite movie moment, and seriously, don't laugh, is from Weekend at Bernie's. Yes. That's right. It's the scene where the two guys realize that Bernie is DEAD, and Larry says "Why do these things always happen to ME? What kind of a host invites you to his house for the weekend and dies on you?"

There are probably others, but it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm not thinking too well right now.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I Am Jen--I SO agree with your OZ moment. I am a HUGE OZ fan and collector of OZ memorabilia (both books and film). It boggles the mind that that was made in 1939. But I hate that they make dorothy a teen and weepy. In the books she is 7 yrs old and is clever, brave and loving and rescues all the male characters instead of crying up in the witches castle while the 3 males come and rescue her. Other than that--a perfect film esp that bit when you see her enter Oz for the first time. Imagine how that would ahve felt to see in 1939? (I have seriously considered getting the word OZ as a tatto to remind be to be smart, kind and brave in all situations and to always come home to my loving Spiderman.)

The scene that gets me is in To Kill a Mockingbird (a film that really captures the feel of that wonderful book) is when Atticus is leaving the courtroom after defending Tom Robinson (an amazing Brock peters) and Scout is sitting up in the coloured section of the balcony and all the black people stand as he walks below as a sign of respect and Rev Sykes says "Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing." I am bawling when I hear this. Spiderman just has to say this and I am tearing up.

Pretty much ALL the scenes in Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 Romeo and Juliet, but that scene at the party where she thinks of Romeo and she sighs and leans against the wall and closes her eyes. Beautiful.

There have been plays I have seen where the tableau was so perfect--a frozen moment where everyone was standing in a certain way that it brought tears to your eyes.

That scene in The Colour Purple where Celie and Nettie are separted by Mister and she calls out "Write!" again...I am 5 hankies down by this point. Or the scene in the Juke Joint where SqueaK says to Oprah Winfrey in that high pitched voice "You ain't nothin but a big ol heifer. ha ha ha" and oprah punches her lights out. Classic.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
OK, a funny one is from Romy and Michelles High School reunion. (This is SO the story of me and Laura M from the 9th/10th grade) when at teh reunion Michelle hugs Sandy Frinks and says "I'm so glad you didn't bring the big notebook" (since in high school he always hid his huge erection behind this giant trapper keeper) I love that bit. I say it to Spiderman and we crack up.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Ok, here's comes the cheeze...

Robinhood (Kevin Costner) at the end when everyone is fighting and he is holding Marion in his arms...she asks him if he would do something for her, of course I can't remember what, and he replies, "I would die for you". Yeah, I know, I'm a hopeless romantic.

Pretty much any movie where the love interests are kept apart and then finally come together for the first kiss.

I just woke up, I'll be back....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm particularly fond of the openings to Le Fabeleux destin d'Amelie Poulain and A Clockwork Orange. Other favourite moments include "Everything you hate" from Citizen Kane; the double monologue from Bergman's Persona ("You have it all in your armoury as a woman and an artist, but you lack motherliness"), the last 5 minutes of Godfather II, the church scene from Godfather I, the conclusion to 2001 A Space Odyssey, the ending to Vertigo, the introduction to Alvy Singer's life in Annie Hall ("I'm into leather"), Johann and Marianne falling asleep in the final part of Scener ur ett Atkenskap, the climax from Requiem for a Dream, and the barely audible nightclub conversations in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

My all-time favourite scene, though, is from Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies). Anyone who's seen it will know which part I mean.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty Johann View Post

the church scene from Godfather I
Ooh..good one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Shawshank Redemption - the scene where they are on the roof and he watches while all his friends enjoy a "bottle of suds"

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Hands down, gotta give it up to Star Wars, Episode IV, the scene where Luke & Leia are fleeing from the stormtroopers and suddenly find themselves staring down into a seemingly bottomless chasm.

A grappling hook. An uncertain breath. A kiss on the cheek, and a "Good Luck."

A swing to freedom.

Same movie, Death Star sequence at the end. Vader's Tie Fighter is bearing down on Red Five in the trench. We see Vader get Luke's ship in his sights, his finger starts moving to fire....

Then from out of nowhere:

"Yahoo! You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!"

I know I'm probably among the very few that find these moments to be that classic but oh well. If Robin Hood gets to count, so does Star Wars.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf.girl View Post

Shawshank Redemption - the scene where they are on the roof and he watches while all his friends enjoy a "bottle of suds"
Heh. I wanted to pick a Shawshank moment, but I had trouble narrowing it down to just one. I absolutely love this film, from start to finish. The scene with
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Red on the bus, headed toward Fort Hancock and Mexico...oh man[/SPOILER]
..ahhh. It may be my most favorite movie ever. (there are about 4-6 that continually battle for 1st place
)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Star Wars - ESB: "No, I am your father", "Noooooooooooooo". And "I love you", "I know".

Star Wars - ROTJ: "Father pleeeeeeease."

No, I'm not a SW geek.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty Johann View Post

My all-time favourite scene, though, is from Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies). Anyone who's seen it will know which part I mean.

ah there is a preponderance of weepy moments here

Quote:
Star Wars - ESB: "I love you", "I know".
yeah

1 - 20 of 34 Posts