VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a great mac and "cheese" recipe that I can make from scratch. I tried one in the Uncheese cookbook, but didn't really care for it. (Some of the other recipes are good, though.)

Also, has anyone tried the mac and "cheese" in The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook? Comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have had success in making a standard mac and cheese from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (make a white sauce, melt in cheese, mix with mac, top with breadcrumbs and bake). I simply subsitituted soy milk for milk, whole wheat pasta for white macaroni, and Tofutti "cheese" for the cheese. It tasted pretty darn good, although the fat content was probably sky high.

I tried one with nutritional yeast, took one bite, and had to throw the rest away. Blech!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I absolutely adore the cheeze recipe below. With only 3 level tbsp nutritional yeast, it's not yeasty-tasting (I don't like nutritional yeast either!), and nobody will know it's made with tofu. I thin it with some soymilk and stir in macaroni for a yummy mac & cheeze delight.

BASIC SHARP CHEDDARY SPREAD (VEGAN)

250gms silken tofu

3 level tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

2 T natural peanut butter (or tahini)

1½ T light miso

¾ t salt

¾ LEVEL teaspoon paprika

1 t prepared yellow mustard

1 t onion powder

1 t garlic powder

4 T salsa (I like Master Foods medium salsa)

Place all the ingredients in a food processor process until very smooth. Chill thoroughly before serving (CHILLING IT IS IMPORTANT. It tastes even better the next day).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Btw, while I'm not fond of nutritional yeast as a replacement for dairy cheese, there are a number of other things in which it can be used with considerable success. Bryanna Clark Grogan on Vegsource has an amazing recipe for a veg chicken broth that calls for nutritional yeast as one of its main ingredients. Nutritional yeast haters might want to check that out!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I have nothing against nutritional yeast. I just didn't care for the particular recipe I used.
Grateful_Veg, thanks for posting the veganised Betty Crocker idea. I think I'll experiment with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by RGR

2 T natural peanut butter (or tahini)
RGR, I haven't tried making a tofu-based mac and "cheese" dish yet, but at least I know yours is tried and true. Is there a strong peanut butter taste to the finished sauce? Do you recommend one over the other? I plan to try your spread soon, but have never tried a "cheese" recipe with peanut butter. Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

WHAT!? Nutritional yeast rules! Chef deb at vegsource has a good cheese recipe...
Is there a particular recipe that you recommend? I did a quick search at VS, and there are so many cheese recipes by Chef Deb!
(Not that it's a bad thing...
)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey, don't get me wrong- I use nutritional yeast in many things (garlic tofu, on baked yams, in my manicotti and lasagne filling, etc.)- It is just when they try to use it as a main ingredient that it is nasty- Some vegan mac & cheese recipes I hve tried where it was the main ingredient were, seriously, nastay- I literally gagged.

Wow, that was a really interesting cheese recipe (with the peanut butter and miso!!?). What does it come out tasting like?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, the cheeze doesn't have a peanut butter flavor. It's actually salty and creamy, and it tastes rather nacho-ish thanks to the salsa. The original recipe (Joanne Stepaniak's Crock Cheeze) calls for tahini, but I substituted peanut butter, and there wasn't much of a difference, really. I believe the purpose of adding the peanut butter/tahini is basically to mask the beany flavor of tofu, without overpowering the other flavors.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replying, RGR. Can't wait to try it. Will probably make it sometime next week....

Shedonteatmeat, thanks for posting your tried and true recipe. I really like your site, btw!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Pixie Magic, I have used the Mac and Cheese recipe out of The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook for years. It is the best! My daughter won't eat the regular kind any more.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my current favorite mac-n-cheeze is adapted from the "Kinda Cheese" recipe on www.veganmania.com. i simply omit the agar-agar, and put all the other ingredients together in the blender. pour over cooked pasta and you have some super yummy (and super easy) comfort food. i usually mix some frozen peas in with the pasta during its final stages of cooking. i have also mixed some baked tofu and peas together with this, topped with bread crumbs and baked for a little while to make a really good casserole.

·
Banned
261 Posts
The New Farm Vegetarian's is DEFINITELY, by FAR, the best (I've tried a lot of recipes and road's End, and this stuff really is without a doubt better than them all), except, use milk instead of water--it makes it way better! I also like to add pepper, parsley, some dijon mustard, and onion powder to it.

Cassie

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RGR, I tried your cheddary spread after posting this thread over a month ago. It was good, and reminded me of a nacho style cheese. Thank you! I know, I knowreally late feedback. I forgot to post my reply after trying it, sorry.

I also made the New Farm version after seeing it posted on the Vegweb message boards two years ago. Cassie and apriljos1 are correct, it's tasty. In fact, my omni nieces and nephews prefer it over the Kraft blue box, and my sister in law makes it for them! High praise indeed. The eight and six year old girls also really love tofu, grains, and fruits/veggies. Will wonders ever cease?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts