VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am not sure about smell - have to think about that one (the only one I can think of is that I love the smell of fireplace burning but that isn't a food).

But taste would be salt - LOVE salt - I am a total saltaholic.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
There's a palm fruit that used to grow in my yard when I lived in Florida that smelled absolutely heavenly. I never knew what the fruit was, so I never ate it. I'd just break them open and smell them and think about how wonderful they must taste. I think someone told me later that they knew what they were and that they were edible -- however, he was not a plant expert and never saw the palm. It was a tiny yellow frut that grew on its own stem in a huge bunch. It looked like some kind of date (before being dried) and smelt very sweet/floral. That's my favorite smell.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ground coffee, a well roasted and robust flavor.

Baking sweet stuff. Brownies and the like. The house smells lovely.

Baking bread.

Coconut.

And the weirdest one of all?

Stale elementary school. My schools always had a distinct smell that was strangely interesting. A mix of clean and staleness. It brings back memories.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For some reason, I always feel comfort when I smell damp must. Like the smell of your grandparent's musty old basement. I have always told my husband that I wanted a house with an old, musty smelling basement, with a screen door that goes "thwack!" when it shuts.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

There's a palm fruit that used to grow in my yard when I lived in Florida that smelled absolutely heavenly. I never knew what the fruit was, so I never ate it. I'd just break them open and smell them and think about how wonderful they must taste. I think someone told me later that they knew what they were and that they were edible -- however, he was not a plant expert and never saw the palm. It was a tiny yellow fruit that grew on its own stem in a huge bunch. It looked like some kind of date (before being dried) and smelt very sweet/floral. That's my favorite smell.
We have plenty of those over here. The fruit is really sweet and yummy.
Can't think of anything with a similar taste...

My favorite smells are from pão de queijo (brazilian cheese bread), roasted garlic, sautéed onions, popcorn, pizza, apple cinnamon, baking bread and coffee. I'm a vegan, though, so no cheese bread or pizza for me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My favourite taste is probably cheddar cheese (and KD!) or peanut butter. As for smell, I'd have to go with oatmeal cookies.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
For best scent and smell in the one product I'd nominate mangoes. Ripe, sun-warmed mangoes.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Books.

I love the smell of books. If you've been in a bookstore with the shelves piled to the ceiling or an older library with long narrow hallways and creaky floors you know what I mean. (not the newer, sterile places like Borders).

As a child I practically lived at the library, during high-school and some of college, I worked there. The smell of books always brings back good memories.

My favorite flavor or taste is difficult to narrow down, and depends on my mood. Probably either garlic, ginger, curry, coconut, lime or dark chocolate. Just not all together :p

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I have to agree with tofu-n-sprouts about books. I absolutely LOVE the smell of books. Old books like you said, in an old bookstore, or from a box in the attic, but new books, too. I don't think I've ever bought or received a book without taking a big breath of stale book-air.

Also, Grinding coffee - I used to work at second cup, and every morning I'd have to grind all the coffee for the day, and it was almost orgasmic.

And for some weird reason, lestoil... the cleaning product? I know that makes no sense, but i also like the smell of thick black markers and gasoline, so I'm just a bit off, I guess.

Taste- hands down - ripe warm tomatoes fresh from the garden with salt and cracked pepper. I have been a tomato addict forever. My father told me that when I was about 2, whenever he couldn't find me, he'd look in the garden, and I'd be there, in the tomatoes, with no tomatoes left in a 2-foot radius around me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts