VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I think I might start investing in a veg*n cookbook or two, and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. I'd appreciate it if they were books that are pretty simple and that don't have ingrediants that are really exotic/diffucult to find.

Thank you,

Jamie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like Linda McCartney's cookbooks, especially Linda McCartney's Home Cooking and Linda's Kitchen. (Note that they aren't vegan.) The recipes are unpretentious and homey. She makes good use of meat substitutes such as TVP, frozen veggie crumbles, etc, which shouldn't be too difficult to find if you have access to Whole Foods or some other natural foods/health foods store.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For easy and non-exotic, but GREAT! I recommend "The New Farm Vegetarian" cookbook, hands down!

Edited by Louise Hagler and Dorothy R. Bates.

I haven't tried a recipe in that book that wasn't delicious.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Soy Not Oi cook-zine and I plan on buying the How It All Vegan series after seeing the second book included sock monkys!

I just wanted to point out I am a rather poor college student and I make my own cookbooks thanks to the web. I just find the recipes I want and use a word program to format them to the page and if I have time/feel like it I play around with the font and add pictures. I just staple it and then ta-da!

·
Registered
701 Posts
My favorite cookbook is the one I made myself with recipes from the internet. I got a 3-ring binder and put dividers and a table of contents in (there's a section for hors d'oeuvres, salads, soups, pasta, mock meats, beans & grains, side dishes, etc) and just punch holes into my printouts and plug them in. I have all kinds of notes on each page and indicate when I made them and what the results were. I have other cookbooks (Better Homes & Gardens, Moosewood, New Vegetarian Epicure) but mine is the one I turn to most!!!

I get the recipes from www.vegweb.com, www.allrecipes.com, www.cookingvillage.com, www.meals.com, www.breakeggs.com, www.eeecooks.com, www.outofthefryingpan.com, www.ivillage.com, and lots of others. Most of these sites are omni but have good veggie sections (lacto-ovo).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently bought "The Voluptuous Vegan" by Myra Kornfeld. I've not yet had time to cook any of the recipes but they all look fantastic & not too tricky. A very sexy veagn bible methinks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
hmm, not sure if this'll help.. but i received the "passionate Vegetarian" cookbook by Crescent Dragonwagon for a gift once.. and there are lots of interesting recipies in there.. a lot are iinteresting, a lot are vegan or can be prepared vegan. but whenever i try to make anything from it, something goes amiss! i've never had trouble following recipies or cooking before.. has anyone else had problems like that before? just no matter what you try, your recipies just go bust?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are some more good ones:

vegetarian meat and potatoes [best for stick-to-your ribs food]

italian vegetarian cookbook by jack bishop

beyond the moon [great for baked goods and eclectic!]

more to come...!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I love How it all Vegan and Garden of Vegan. Those ladies know how to incorporate everythimg into a book!

Muffcake- if you like Soy not Oi! you'll like the Earth First Cookbook. Buy it through Vegan Book Project-no shipping!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
My faves so far have been

Vegan Planet

1001 low-fat vegetarian recipes

Vegan Mediterranean Kitchen

And, though it doesn't count as a veggie cookbook, I rely a lot on my Joy of Cooking book for basic recipes (like pie crusts, biscuits, breads, etc), then just "veganize" the recipes. It's a great tool to use as a reference. I find it funny that most veggie cookbooks fail to include the "basics" like how to make plain biscuits, scones, bread, pies, muffins, etc... if they do include recipes for those, they're all spiffed up & fancy. Sometimes I just want plain baking soda biscuits!!!!!

(sorry for the mini-rant
)

amy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the vegan cook book project site? Soy Not Oi is a fun book...I just found that some of the recipes forgot information or missed a few steps.

Has anyone ever checked out the Cheap Vegan zines? I have a few and like them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like The Complete Vegan Cookbook by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay. Lots of flavorful recipes, including the nutrition information.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
As far as simple recipies for all vegan food, try:

Cooking With Peta: Great Vegan Recipes for a Compassionate Kitchen

The Compassionate Cook Or, "Please Don't Eat the Animals!": A Vegetarian Cookbook

These books are good for giving simple vegan recipies for common tricky things like mayo, worschister sauce, etc. Also lots of American style foods done vegan. Wide variety, very practical.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm also a How it all vegan and garden of vegan lover. those are my favorites.

but another one i highly reccomend is The Everyday Vegan by Dreena Burton. All of the recipes use pretty "normal" ingredients that you either have in your house or you can get really easily from any grocery store, and they're the type of recipes that everyone likes, the kinda stuff your mom would make.

on the other hand, i got a book called Vegan Delights by Jeanne Marie Martin, i hate this book. it calls for ingredients like guar and xanthan gum, liquid soy lecithin, and other igredients that are super hard to find, and no one has in their house. for simple recipes too, like muffins and cookies. and she has some really goofy ideas on food combining and what a good vegan diet should be like.

i wanted to put a thumbs up and thumbs down review hehe.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the best way to check out a cookbook is via the public library. I will take them out once or twice and if enough recipes are found to be tasty I buy it. There too expensive for me to go out and buy.

Just took the Vegan Planet by RObin Robertson out and all I can say is YUM

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vegankat

How It All Vegan is a fabulous cookbook. There are recipes for things I was convinced I'd never taste again...
Its my fav cook book too. If you havn't already people you really must try their recipe for shepards pie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh I loved "How It all Vegan!" I'm dying to get "The Garden of Vegan" and Peta's Celebrity cookbook.

I might try the binder thing Spa_girl suggested

1 - 20 of 28 Posts