VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming you buy it rather than making it, as I do.

I love Sabra hummus. I think the Greek Olive, Sundried Tomato and Roasted Pine Nut are my favorites.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Sabra, all the way, especially the roasted pine nut. I think Sabra has more oil in it though, as I think it has more calories than other hummus varieties.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

When it come to store bought stuff, you can't beat Sabra. I usually get the Roasted Pine Nut, because that's the one Costco carries big tuns of.
Sabra Roasted Red Pepper when its on sale and I have a coupon and I have suggested to Costco to get that one in the large containers.

Ride Free!!

Peace, LOve and Hippiness

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I've only tried cheap brands since I make my own.
I love Aldis reg. tahini hummus
Trader Joes I did not like.
I must try the pizza flavor I've heard of- brand anyone?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

Sabra Roasted Red Pepper when its on sale and I have a coupon and I have suggested to Costco to get that one in the large containers.
This is the only hummus I buy any more. I add cayenne or sriracha to make it spicy.

My Costco has it in the large containers.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

This is the only hummus I buy any more. I add cayenne or sriracha to make it spicy.

My Costco has it in the large containers.
wow really? thats awesome
... my local costco has sabra pine nut in the large container and a plain in another brand.....I hope they get the sabra RRP in the large containers.

Ride Free!!

Peace, LOve and Creativity

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Oh, wow. The Sabra love in here is terrifying. I hate Sabra hummus with a passion I usually reserve for hating Yankees fans.

It's like eating hummus-flavored pudding or something. I cannot stand the texture. It's the diarrhea of hummus. And there was one flavor I tried a loooong time ago that made me want to gag, it was so god-awful.

I can handle several flavors of Tribe, but not all. I think there is another I'm okay with, too, but I can't remember the name.

(I prefer to make my own. I'm also a big fan of other bean spreads. Cannellini beans with tahini, olive oil, salt, and fresh basil or rosemary makes me a HAPPY girl!)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I made my own once and it was okay....but just not my deal
.....I think I am the only person that doesnt like athenos hummus....I do enjoy the commercials but the hummus is gross....looks and tastes gritty like I assume pencil shavings would....I also am not a bigg fan of tribe hummus I got some awesome coupons and paired with a sale and to me that always makes it better...but not this time its just nasty......My parents bought me Aldi brand hummus once and I didnt care for that either....but Sabra is the only one I like and I am not a bigg hummus fan as it is....I get hummus-ed out really quickly....eat a bunch and then dont for a long bit.

Ride Free!!

Peace, LOve and Funn

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Oh, wow. The Sabra love in here is terrifying. I hate Sabra hummus with a passion I usually reserve for hating Yankees fans.

It's like eating hummus-flavored pudding or something. I cannot stand the texture. It's the diarrhea of hummus. And there was one flavor I tried a loooong time ago that made me want to gag, it was so god-awful.
haha i know. tried sabra once because it was the only one they had in stock and never again......

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

I think I am the only person that doesnt like athenos hummus....I do enjoy the commercials but the hummus is gross....looks and tastes gritty like I assume pencil shavings would.
Ride Free!!

Peace, LOve and Funn
Not alone. I loathe Athenos. It has such a funky taste to it and texture. I've also tried Garden of Eatin' hummus (the ones that come in a jar) and that was nasty as well. I tried a few different flavors of their hummus and they all tasted the same.

I'm not a fan of Sabra but I love Tribe. I've never attempted to make my own because I know I could never recreate the greatness of homemade hummus from Middle Eastern restaurants.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
The first time I ever had hummus, it was at a classroom party in 2001/2002 that was homemade by an Arab friend of mine's mom. I don't think you could get any more delicious than that. If I never tried it then, I'm very certain I probably never would have touched the stuff until somewhat recently.

I'm really picky about it, though. There's a lot I don't like with hummus. I haven't found any brand that I love, but I have had the plain original Trader Joe's one before and I liked it. I also liked the pine nut Sabra one. I remember trying it years ago and being "No way that's gross", but I just got it again recently and it's good.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:

It's like eating hummus-flavored pudding or something. I cannot stand the texture. It's the diarrhea of hummus.
No, you're the diarrhea of hummus.

Burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I have had the plain original Trader Joe's one before and I liked it. I also liked the pine nut Sabra one.
Yep, Sabra and TJ's are the best. They're the closest to the real deal.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:

well it doesnt exist in the UK but youve just put me off for life.

I love caremelised onion hummus best. mmmmmmmm. not fussy on the brand, as long as its not Asda. thats just.. lumpy and wrong. I HATE lemon corriander hummus blerh.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts