VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at a food blog, a member here, meatless i think.......anyway, the dish with faux shrimp looked really good i think my omni hubby would like it, i have never seen these fake shrimps though, had anyone seen these, and where do you get them? is there a brand?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Yeah it was mine.
That's cool that people are viewing it!

The faux shrimps were puchased from a company called Nelakee, based out of Scarborough ON. So that's probably not very helpful to you.

Nevertheless, if you wanted to contact them, the e-mail is: [email protected]. They also have a web site, www.nlkveggiemart.com but the faux shrimps are not on it.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
You can get them in Oriental markets.... I think 99B (an Oriental market chain) has them with the frozen meats, along with their frozen bean curd, and fish substitutes.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I have a package in my freezer that's been there for several months, my kids wanted me to buy them for the novelty but I just haven't gotten the nerve to try them.

I got mine at a Vietnamese market.

Maybe I'll try them in something tonight and report back with a picture...(maybe).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
meatless.....your blog is awesome i check it out all the time!

thanks for all the info, i will have to check an asian mkt next time i venture to the city........

not even sure im brave enough to try them........LOL

TNS did you try them? I am anxiously awaiting your picture and report........hehehe

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Well, duh! I just realized I never posted a picture and 'review' of the faux shrimp...

OK, they were pretty good - interesting - bland, slightly rubbery, maybe vaguely "fishy" slightly mildly, salty like - without being gross...

I described them like that to someone who's actually eaten shrimp/prawns (I never have) and they said "Hmm, sounds just like real shrimp" ha!

OK - the picture:

I did a sorta Thai-inspired stirfry with spices, veggies and the "shrimp".

HOWEVER: I was out of basically any vegetables except yellow squash, mushrooms and purple cauliflower...(weird, I know, but all I had...).

It turned out very yummy, but I realize it looks really BIZARRE in the picture.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I bought some of these a while back from vegecyber.com. I didn't think these were much like real shrimp. There's something odd about the texture. However, if you haven't had real shrimp, you may have a different view. Actually even if you have had it, you might still like it.

[/pointlessness]

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
i gave a bag of them to my dad and he actually likes them better than real shrimps. So you can bet I'll be giving him more.

(I have never eaten real shrimps either
)

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yeah. I've never had the real ones either. They were good, but I can't say I'd run out and buy them again, simply because there are many other things I like far better...

One note.

Do not microwave them.

I rarely ever use the microwave, but was at work and really wanted this dish of leftovers warm... the "shrimps" shriveled into dry, hard, shrunken little strips of weirdness... VERY scarey...

(Of course, someone told me that would happen to REAL shrimp in the microwave too...bleh...)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I described them like that to someone who's actually eaten shrimp/prawns (I never have) and they said "Hmm, sounds just like real shrimp" ha!
Yeah, pretty much - especially if the latter were frozen before cooking.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I got some stuff from vegecyber, the lobster legs, shrimp bals, and jumbo prawns. They're made mostly from curdlan, a plant starch that kinda gels. The lobster legs have a strong seafood smell, but not taste. The taste of all three seems "off" somehow to me and they don't much agree with my digestive system, perhaps because the stuff is non-nutritive. I won't order it again, but have a bunch left to get rid of .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts