VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how other Vegan parents keep the weight on there babies, I have an 18month and a 6 month old and it's a real struggle to keep the weight on the toddler as a Vegan diet is so low in fat and they only can comsume so much in a day.

ATM i add flaxsed oil to their yoghurt and ceral, and drizzle olive oil or seaseme oil on their avocado,

Can you see my problem im just pour oil on everything they eat any other ideas??

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
hmm i have a vegan 4 yr old and she is in the 90 percentile of weight.

have you considered your children may genetically be thin?

if you are that concerned i would discuss it with their doctor.. he/she will tell you if they have enough fat on their bodies..

i hope everything is fine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they are fine, they are in the 60th percentile i was just hoping for some new ideas really of high calorie vegan foods as both mine would probaly be happy to live of just fruit

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my dd is 19 months old and still not showing a whole lot of interest in eating solid foods. her diet is mostly breastmilk. i do worry about her getting enough fat, not so much because of the vegan diet, but because of the fact that she is still eating very little overall.

i also try to give her a fair amount of oil (olive or flax) in soup, on lentils, veggies and quinoa. she eats some tofu, peanut butter, avocado, olives and she loves sesame seeds.

it was at the suggestion of our pediatric caregiver that we added oils to foods. i can't think of any danger in doing so, as long as they are healthy oils. i am interested in hearing if anyone else knows of any potential hazards though.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
avacados are high calorie and have excellent fats in them. if your kids will eat olives, those are good too. avacados are probably your best bet cause of the mild flavor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts