VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fast every Monday. (Water only) I do it to keep from getting fat...<br><br>
I also appreciate food much more the rest of the week. I mean Tuesday's dinner sure tastes fantastic...<br><br><br><br>
Anyone else fast?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
well there's a difference between fat and unhealthy. i know people who are very healthy who are "big" and i also know people who are extremely unhealthy who are both big and tiny.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Brake4Squirrels</i><br><br><b>Increases blood pressure, decreases energy levels and its a risk for heart disease, heart attack and stroke.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
there is no evidence that frequent dieting to obtain a shape considered more pleasing to society is healthier than being overweight.<br><br><br><br>
98% of diets fail. yo-yoing weight loss and gain (which is what happens to 98% of people who diet) cause havoc to blood pressure, decrease energy levels, and put people at risk for heart problems and stroke.<br><br><br><br>
many people automatically believe fat = unhealthy. but this is because of a biased medical industry, and a weird-and-nearly-unattainable-and-certainly-not-sustainable-for-the-average-woman societal norm.<br><br><br><br>
besides, if you need to not eat food for an entire day every single week because if you ate the food on that day, you'd become <i>fat</i>, (just like that! amazing!), what the hell are you eating, anyway?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Kreeli</i><br><br><b>what's so bad about fat?</b></div>
</div>
<br>
I would say fat is only bad if it is a symptom of some other problem, or if there is some definite reason to believe it is to the extent that it is causing one significant harm. (ie- a 700 lbs man, obviously his excess fat would be harmful to his heart, prevent his mobility, etc.)<br><br><br><br>
But if mushroom is gaining body weight in a way that is indicative of unhealthiness, perhaps that means there is something else at work, (not fasting) that your body/life needs.<br><br><br><br>
For example, the National Academy of Sciences just came out with a healthy living report recommending 1 hour of exercise a day (including time spent going up stairs, etc.). Now I know I don't get that much, and most other people I know, don't either.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
That said, even when bodyfat is indicative of a need or unhealth, we should never feel shame regarding it, nor judgment towards others, like we should never feel shame or judgment concerning any other body condition be it unhealthy or not.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I do not think fat is attractive on most people. I think that I look better when I am slim and I feel a lot better, too.<br><br>
But, I really wanted to know if anyone here fasts...if they have been on a long fast...why they fast etc. Anyone?<br><br><br><br>
I choose to fast one day a week, because after 2 days of not eating, I feel very weak.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I do not fast. I don't know if I ever will except for medical reasons. And certainly from what I know, denying the body food completely in fact often has the oppose effect in terms of weight.<br><br><br><br>
Your body thinks it's being starved, so it enters 'storage mode' and thus as soon as you do put food in, it treats it like a precious resource and packs it on in fat form, just incase it gets 'starved' again. Like a camel.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by mushroom</i><br><br><b>Personally, I do not think fat is attractive on most people. I think that I look better when I am slim and I feel a lot better, too.<br><br>
But, I really wanted to know if anyone here fasts...if they have been on a long fast...why they fast etc. Anyone?<br><br><br><br>
I choose to fast one day a week, because after 2 days of not eating, I feel very weak.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
How do you feel when you do not fast at all? You said you gain weight, right?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i wouldn't use fasting as a weight loss/gain/control method. fasting is meant to cleanse the system of toxins and built-up junk. i'm considering doing a one day per week fast, but i won't try it until i have some information on it, i don't want to do anything potentially harmful

·
Registered
429 Posts
I learned in my health class today that fasting doesn't do you any good. it just leaves you weak and halts your metabolism. think about it, does your heart need a rest from beating? does your digestive system need a break from digesting? your system already cleanses and fixes itself... that's what all that good bacteria is for. that's what its designed for, right?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Couldn't all of the supposed benefits of fasting be better achieved by eating nothing but organic oatmeal (or some other colon cleanser) and water? What about an all oatmeal "fast" for a week or something?<br><br><br><br>
How could putting nothing in your digestive system be better at cleaning the thing out than using some kind of fiber rich, absorbant agent (paper towels would be harsh, but I think oatmeal would do the trick, with the added benefit of calories and nutrients)?<br><br><br><br>
I do like the challenge aspect of fasting as well as the chance to gain control of your body by fighting its natural impulses, but I can't think of another reason to do it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
They did a thing on the radio about a study where they found that clay eating that is done in some cultures can absorb toxins from other foods. Among peoples who do this, it is especially encouraged during pregnancy.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I used to eat glue, and lipstick, and lots of other gross stuff.<br><br><br><br>
My mom had to make me throw up after eating cigarrettes. ANd also ant poison<br><br><br><br>
Hmmm. Maybe I do need to cleanse.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Thalia</i><br><br><b>They did a thing on the radio about a study where they found that clay eating that is done in some cultures can absorb toxins from other foods. Among peoples who do this, it is especially encouraged during pregnancy.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
it's called "pica". read about it here:<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.eating-disorder.org/pica.html" target="_blank">http://www.eating-disorder.org/pica.html</a>

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"does your digestive system need a break from digesting?"<br><br><br><br>
Not normally, but if it is sick or injured, emptying it out can help it heal, or be the difference between it healing and not healing. Fasting seems to be very effective for things like stomach ulcers, diverticulitis, and chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterologists will put people with sick gi's on an entirely parenteral diet (something possible only within the last 20 years or so) -- so that there gi's are completely empty -- the only way they will heal.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"does your heart need a rest from beating?"<br><br><br><br>
Yes. It normally takes a rest after every beat.<br><br><br><br>
In cases where it is sick, or injured, cardiologists while arrange for a prolonged partial rest, by putting part of its job in the hands of a mechanical pump, and adding mechanical lung functions too. This gives such hearts a chance to stregthen, so that eventually the machines can be removed (in some cases). Giving it a rest like this can make the difference between soon-arriving death, or living many more years.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I fast sometimes when I think I'm ill. Because then my body can do it's thing and not waste energy on digesting food. But then I'd try and sleep a lot too.<br><br>
Occasionally this year I've done a fruit diet, to detox and get high. The only successful way I've lost weight is to eat a little less and exercise a great deal more. Actually I don't give a toss about my weight, but it really pisses me off if I can't do my jeans up, or sit down in them when I have.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts