VeggieBoards banner

Fantastic Link for Newbies to Veg*nism!

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mia82 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Thanks. Apologies for taking this thread off track.

In the article, there is a photo of what looks like tofu cooking in a wok. Do vegetarians like using woks? I was thinking of purchasing a wok the other day; my co-worker really likes them and uses them for everything.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by |$|Berkeley View Post

Thanks. Apologies for taking this thread off track.

In the article, there is a photo of what looks like tofu cooking in a wok. Do vegetarians like using woks? I was thinking of purchasing a wok the other day; my co-worker really likes them and uses them for everything.
I used a wok a lot even in my non-veg days. It's always been a nifty way for me to cook up veggies and pastas. I don't know if there is a specific way one should cook with a wok... I just sort of pulled it out of the cupboard one day when there was no clean pans and I was too hungry to do my dishwashing chores first. I liked the way it cooked, so it became a favorite pan (after my cast iron set).

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

Yeah, "veganist" is kind of silly, but then I can relate a lot of what the writer is saying to my own journey of becoming vegan.
Thanks for the link! What was your journey like becoming a vegan? I was born into a vegetarian family but in high school started eating meat..just recently (3 weeks ago) I gave up meat and so far don't miss it a bit

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckishfire View Post

Thanks for the link! What was your journey like becoming a vegan? I was born into a vegetarian family but in high school started eating meat..just recently (3 weeks ago) I gave up meat and so far don't miss it a bit
No probs!
I was born into a very carnivorous family, and tried to go vegetarian when I was 9, although that didn't last long thanks to family pressure. Several years ago, I discovered that I was lactose intolerant and gave up dairy but was still eating meat. I always had a guilt complex about it, which I still very much do for the animals I've eaten, however at the time I didn't think it was possible to be vegetarian and healthy unless you just lucked out with your body chemistry, as I did try again with vegetarianism about 6 years ago, but felt so weak in the process, and no wonder as I knew almost nothing about nutrition at the time. As of April 1st, I decided I couldn't eat meat anymore, dairy was already out, and then as soon as I saw some video footage about what goes on with eggs I couldn't bring myself to eat them anymore. I'll spare you the graphic details unless you want to Google, but what happens to male baby chicks looks much more brutal than what happens in the meat industry, and that's saying a lot.

#13 ·
Mia, I bet that was tough growing up in that environment. I grew up vegetarian but everyone around us thought we were crazy. My mom's parents were so bad that we eventually had to move to a different state to get away! I have this weird phobia that any meat I ate couldn't have bones in it; I think it made it too real for me, like I was in fact eating a dead animal if it had bones. Finally it gave way to just feeling guilty. I've seen slaughterhouse documentaries and how they treat chickens, so that is a big reason why I'm giving it up (with a little spirituality thrown in :p) Have a good weekend!

#14 ·
My husband's family drives me nuts. His brother is attempting to be vegetarian but he's only 14 and his family doesn't make it very easy. My sister in law once said about her daughter "I don't care if she becomes vegetarian, she just can't do it while she's living in my house and I'm cooking the meals". I do what I can to help them go veg*n.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckishfire View Post

Mia, I bet that was tough growing up in that environment. I grew up vegetarian but everyone around us thought we were crazy. My mom's parents were so bad that we eventually had to move to a different state to get away! I have this weird phobia that any meat I ate couldn't have bones in it; I think it made it too real for me, like I was in fact eating a dead animal if it had bones. Finally it gave way to just feeling guilty. I've seen slaughterhouse documentaries and how they treat chickens, so that is a big reason why I'm giving it up (with a little spirituality thrown in :p) Have a good weekend!
The bones in the meat is much of what did it for me as well. I knew I wanted to be veg from the time I was little, and I found out that chicken really does come from chickens fish from fish, etc, and that it's not just a coincidence. Have a good weekend too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceydavis View Post

My husband's family drives me nuts. His brother is attempting to be vegetarian but he's only 14 and his family doesn't make it very easy. My sister in law once said about her daughter "I don't care if she becomes vegetarian, she just can't do it while she's living in my house and I'm cooking the meals". I do what I can to help them go veg*n.
That's good, and that's about all you can do really. If my family hadn't been resistant, I would have been veg*n for 20 years now, not just 6 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.