VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i'm 13, and just a couple weeks ago I watched a PETA slaughtering video, and now I don't want to eat meat. I love eating meat but now I know how they torture the animals it sickens me. A couple nights ago we had chicken for dinner, I refused to eat it, and my mom went balistic!!! How can I get her to accept that I dont want to eat meat anymore?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Did you even talk to her about nutriention? How you can make a plan to stay healthy while veg? That helped me, but really, I just ate what I wanted lol

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This is a difficult situation.<br><br>
Can you cook?<br><br>
If you can, you should offer to cook your own dinner. It can be something basic like a veggie burger, but atleast you will be showing your mom that you are committed and capable of cooking your own food.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Educate yourself on vegetarian nutrition and show her that you've been doing your homework, so to speak. Most parents are afraid their children are going to make themselves sick by being vegetarian, so if you can assure her that it is really quite easy to eat a healthy vegetarian diet, that will probably go a long way. (One thing you will have to learn to do, though, is eat your vegetables!)<br><br><br><br>
I think one of the best books you can read on vegetarian nutrition is <b>The China Study</b> by T. Colin Campbell. It explains why a vegetarian diet low in animal products is the most healthy diet you can eat. Read it, talk to your mom about it, and see if you can get her to at least take a look at it. Try checking your local library for this book.<br><br><br><br>
There are also lots of books out there written specifically to help teenagers learn how to be vegetarian. And there are books written to help the parents of those teens understand what's going on and how to cope with it. Try searching your library's catalog for "vegetarian teens."

·
Registered
349 Posts
one question to start, how's your intake of fruit and veg? if it's low, you're gonna be in for a bad ride from the very beginning.<br><br><br><br>
firstly, you have to show your parents you can get all your neccessary vitamins from going vegetarian. showing them some pro-veg*n websites/literature should do the trick.<br><br>
also, always try new things out! i would have never have known my passion for courgettes if i hadn't tried them out! one way is to try a new fruit/veggie/seed/nut whenever possible.<br><br><br><br>
remember, you need to show the oldies you have a good protein source.<br><br>
if you're ovo/lacto, it'll be easier, but believe me, you're gonna get about someone questioning your protein level at some point! baked beans, tofu, peanuts, lentils, soybeans, spinach... i could easily go on. they all have high protein levels and none are animal-derived!<br><br><br><br>
good luck with the parental unit, and if you're sure about going vegetarian, don't give up on it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I was your age I wanted to go veg after watching a PETA film too, but my mom had the same reaction, and I think a lot of it was because she thinks PETA is crazy. The veg thing didn't work out then because I didn't know where to look for resources besides PETA, and they make veg*ns look like they're all complete radicals who equate slaughterhouses to the Holocaust, which is only true for a very very small portion of them. Use moderate resources that focus more on nutrition (like The China Project) when talking to your parents and they'll be more likely to take you seriously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts