VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I have to deal with:

I was cooking my dinner (brown rice, peas, and a little I Can't Believe It's not Butter), and my brother walks up to me with a huge piece of steak in his hand and bites a chunk off right in my face...to which he siad "ooh so nice and bloody."

My mom, who decided to wear her leather jacket today, insists that this is all just a fad for me, and I'll be back to eating steak and chicken within a week...

What's a girl suppose to do with that kind of support???

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hang in there. I too, had a dad, who thought that vegetarianism was just a phase. There was never anything really mean, but lots of eye rolls, etc.

However, I recently told the story here about how this same man, some years later became a fierce defender when I was served meat by an idiotic festival worker. He now readily eats the vegan creations I make, and even talks with me occasionally about health benefits of veganism, etc. I don't suspect that he'll ever become a vegan, but I definitely don't feel a lack of respect.

As for your brother, well, sometimes that's how brothers are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, this is the first good thing I've ever really done before, and they can't even support it. My ex boyfriend, now currently my best friend is supporting me fully...but even he's not there most of the time.

Oh I kinda want to do this to my brother:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
When your mom insists this is just a phase for you you can ask her if she wants to watch "Meet Your Meat" or "Peaceable Kingdom". People here can link you to online versions of both. You can tell her that she can watch the documentaries or skip them but that if she watches them she'll better understand why you have made the choice you made. I advise against insisting that people watch those documentaries because the more force you use the more resistance you'll encounter. Most people will be interested if you offer.

You will have to get used to those immature people who feel challenged by your choice and have to eat meat right in your face.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My brother thinks this is "just a phase" too *sigh*

And my mom...*sigh* I've been educating her but she's just misinformed. She thinks you NEED meat.

I've become somewhat of a health freak now and I read labels and I won't buy my favorite popcorn anymore because it has 5g of trans fat (kill me now) and she just rolls her eyes...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
What does your mom think of the American Dietetic Association:

Quote:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Approximately 2.5% of adults in the United States and 4% of adults in Canada follow vegetarian diets...

... A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.
Read more: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

·
Registered
0 Posts
That must be tough.
Brush it off and try your best not to let it get to you. I know that seems like it may be difficult, but after awhile it will become easier to ignore their rude comments and facial expressions. Maybe you could talk to your parents and let them know that you need their support, and hope for the best. Maybe it takes hearing it from you for them to know you are hurt by the lack of support.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soochi View Post

What's a girl suppose to do with that kind of support???
Keep being vegetarian and prove them all wrong! Yeah, think my parents thought it was a phase... eight years later I think my relatives have stopped asking my parents if I'm still vegetarian!

It's a typical reaction for people to be slightly hostile and insecure about people doing things differently to how they do. Don't take it personally, just keep going and eventually they'll get used to it when they see you're not about to change. Except maybe your brother will keep annoying you just for the sake of it, because that's what they do...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Aw. ): I know how you feel. My whole family, and friends even, call my being vegan stupid and dangerous. Both friends and family try to intentially get me mad and into arguements with them about animals rights, and I'm so done with arguing with people over the topic. All my friends think its necessary to say "sorry" before they bite into a burger, but I just think to myself that they should be, because they'll see the effects of that burger and other meat when they get older. :p

I've also been told by numerous people that I have an eating disorder because I've lost a lot of weight (which I needed to do) and they refuse to believe that it could be done properly, and that my being vegan is just proving their point.

Unfortunately, you'll probably get used to it, and it won't bother you. Many times if someone else finds out you're a vegetarian, and they're ignorant, they're bound to say something stupid. Just be positive and know the animals appreciate it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have some relatives that act like jerks about it occasionally too. My favorite is when people get like "What's wrong with eating HONEY?! The bees don't DIE!!!" etc. etc. And when we go out to eat and it becomes a production and they insist on asking tons of questions. JUST LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY.

The worst part is that frequently, even though I've been vegan for about a year now, my dad will say something like "It's totally your choice and I support it" but then two seconds later make some sort of snide commend or eyeroll.

It does help that one of the most important people in my life, my boyfriend, is also vegan. He and I have fun cooking and trying out new foods, etc., and I know I always have backup. Definitely makes me feel better when I feel like no one else understands :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.