VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next month my extended family is having their annual reunion, which consists of 25 or so people living and eating in one house, with 2 bathrooms, in the middle of nowhere, for 3 days. Meals are huge, with one family planning and preparing one lunch or dinner (cereals, muffins ect. for breakfasts). Usually it's things like fajitas, huge pots of stew, casseroles, and the like. This is going to be my first reunion as a vegetarian though, and I can't think of anything good to do for my own food.<br><br><br><br>
I'm the only vegetarian in a big carnivorous Texan family, so I'm expecting some serious criticism of my issues with meat. I'd like to be able to get rid of at least some of the critiques by having the meal my dad and I prepare to be something vegetarian that they'll be willing to try, is reasonably easy to prepare for about 25 people, and is good enough that they'll give up on trying to un-convert me.<br><br><br><br>
I also need some good ideas for things to do for myself during the rest of the meals. We'll have limited fridge and kitchen space, and I'd like to avoid the "rabbit food" situation.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Maybe you could make a big batch of veggie soup or stew for everyone to try. I've done that at large family gatherings and most people tried it. Then there is things like salad. I made an excellent quinoa salad for the last family gathering I went to.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about a tray of veggie lasagna?I bet people that didnt know it was veggie would like it. That yummy bread salad. Whats not to like.<br><br>
Soup is always a great idea too. Once people have bread and butter or spread - I bet they would really enjoy it.<br><br><br><br>
I think the key is dont make a big veggie deal at first - Once you start getting "Oh this is is really good" then you tell them is all veggie. Stay undercover at first- I dont know why but people are put off so easily. I hope its a great time Let us know what you decide<br><br><br><br>
one more - maybe chili/ tacos with all the fixings? I disclosed to my brother that I made tacos but didnt use any meat. Of course he assumed it was be turkey. After he ate five I let him know it was tofu. He stopped at seven! not kidding..

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
make chili! add in some veggie "ground beef", and make up a big pan of vegan cornbread, and you'll get "wow"s all round. for dessert i'd probably serve pudding and/or a fruit crisp or crumble. if you want any recipes, just let me know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A great meal idea for taking with you is bean sandwiches...mash up a drained and rinsed can of white beans with a little garlic...heat if cook space is available or eat cold...good both ways. Spread on some bread with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber etc. It solves many problems and is quite satisfying!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm getting hungry thinking about chili and tacos and soups.<br><br>
Tacos sound like a really good Idea actually (that way people can make their own, leaving out what they don't like), but I've never used veggie "ground beef" before. Any suggestions/recipies?<br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
whatever you do, do not use any meat substitutes. they will be able to tell and from what you said, will likely not be open-minded about it. are you vegan or lacto-ovo? i would suggest a meatless side dish like macaroni and cheese, a corn casserole, mashed potatoes, or roasted potatoes, etc. I use a recipe from the 'hidden valley ranch' site for oven roasted potatoes and people always go crazy for it at potlucks. if you eat dairy and are interested in a recipe for "mexican wraps" let me know (they contain several veggies, cheese, cream cheese, etc.). people love this! and it doesn't require any cooking (just some chilling in the fridge). have fun!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I vote a big pot of chili. But skip the fake beef.. somehow people *can* tell the difference. But if you make it yummy with a lot of hearty beans, they'll forget there's no meat in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts