VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
The last time I traveled to visit family (for Thanksgiving), I packed Luna Bars, drank a lot of water, ate a LOT of cranberry sauce, and I managed to grab some salad greens during an outing to Super Wal-Mart. At that point, I wasn't trying to go vegan, so little bits of eggs or dairy here or there didn't bother me, and I ate a lot of bread, too. (During the six days I was there, lunch was usually cranberry sauce spread on leftover rolls. )

If your family is open-minded about your veg*ism, you might be able to politely share with them some of the foods you eat, so that you won't have to take too much with you. If they aren't, maybe you can find some non-perishable items that travel well, like dried fruit, the little cups of dehydrated soups (Fantastic Foods, I think?) and so on.

Good luck. ^_^

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Soilman, I think I tried the same one, and I wasn't that impressed with it, either. Out of all the flavors, I only like about five of them. I don't eat them often, but I find it helpful to have a few lying around in case I need them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
scarletboo, do you mean that you will be bothered by the meat?

I just try to focus on what I am eating and try not to think about how much pain they have caused by their food choices.

I also try to bring some delicious vegan food to share, to show them that food can be tasty without dead animals in it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am contemplating if I should try being a vegan again. Last summer, I was a vegan at a family reunion. And I found it really hard to eat food without animal products in it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have yet to experience holiday time as a vegan in a omni-home. I can't wait (sarcastic). Its going to be so much fun watching a giagantic turkey being carved right in front of me where i have no choice but to eat with them. I love my family but I am not looking forward to holiday meals. However, it is not even somthing that would begin to decide wehter I am vegan or not. Thats a choice of much greater weight the one or two awkward/revolting situations.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've found some of those dehydrated soup cups that were labelled chicken and beef, but when I checked the ingredients, they didn't have anything even remotely resembling chicken *or* beef in them. They were vegan in fact... isn't it odd?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Actually, I've been vegetarian for almost a month now, and Spring Break (around Easter) will be the first family gathering I've been at since. I'm a little nervous, especially since all my relatives are big meat eaters (and my uncles do a lot of sport hunting). So I don't really know what I'm going to do yet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My family celebrates all of the birthdays 3 times a year plus Easter, Fourth Of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas et cetra. Since my mom and I are vegan, we try to have them here at our house, but if we can't we either both take plates of food already cooked or two or three dishes that we know we can fill up on. My family knows we are vegan (I think.
) I know it was mentioned once or twice before, but that means nothing. When my birthday comes around, I am just going to make my own little cake, and people hopefully won't say much. I don't want to offend my grandma who usually makes the cake though, so any suggestions? Should I just tell her that I am not eating dairy or eggs any more or just not say anything unless she asks?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
My family dosen't live far away (sometimes a little too close!) so I'm able to bring an entire meal. My in-laws always have vegan holidays (usually a tofu loaf, vegan stuffing, veggies,ect) and my mother in law is a great vegan cook. We just made vegan easter candies for my son. My side of family is Italian, so there is always pasta which my grandmom will make with olive oil and garlic for me. I always bring a dessert that's vegan, especially for my son who's 3 so he dosen't feel left out (although he's usually too busy playing to care).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My only time yet at a family meal was at christmas. Last thanksgiving, my parents were packing up their stuff for mocing so we missed that ...hehe.

Anyway, at x-mas, I cooked all the veggies at my parents place, made the gravy and made the mashed potatoes (used soy milk in it too ... mwahaha).

And they looked after their roast.

I'm actually considering asking if they would mind not having a turkey at thanksgiving many months from now. I just feel the birds get the worst treatment no matter where you are (ie , like in my small province, in summer , cows are in fields eating and look like they're living alright at least then ... also one cow will make many roasts so it seems better that way too) ... I doubt they'd mind and sometimes they had other things anyway for thanksgiving (eg, roast). What's people's opinions on that (it's not a huge get together ... just parents and brother really)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, traveling with a three year old and a one year old, I always bring my little cooler along anyway. I like to have lots of snacks on hand for the kids. We traveled with my family over Thanksgiving and I made a vegan sweet potato casserole and a cake. My mom and SIL are both vegetarian and my mom is a great cook but she uses lots of dairy. I'm not vegan but I try not to eat much dairy. My cooler is always stocked with soy yogurt, soy milk, fruit, raw veggies. I also brought some pita and soy deli slices. I usually bring a canvas bag along with cereal and snacks for my girls too. We stopped at a grocery store in town and picked up stuff to make a big salad. My family knows I'm vegetarian and they respect that but I never ask anyone to change their eating habits to accomodate me/my family.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Family gatherings are pretty easy going actually. We just had passover at my dads place. My dad is a vegetarian, and so is my stepsister. There's almost always one veggie dish at family functions. Nut loaf or something along those lines. Being vegan my dad always saves some potatos before mashing them with butter and sour cream ( I veganized mine with margarine and tofurtti ) and he made BBQ seitan for those not eating brisket. I know it wasn't kosher or anything but it's the food that counts hehe.

As for my mom's side, she eats meat but never really any red meat which is kind of nice. The gross thing at her sedar was the little kids that were there who decided to play Henry the 8th and rip appart a capon with his bare hands and eat it that way in front of mine. Kids are barbarians I'm telling you..

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't really have a problem at family gatherings. I usually will bring dried fruit or something to snack on and where ever we are, theres always salad and stuff for me to eat.

At Daves house, his mom will even make me noodles or rice or something of that sort extra, just so I have something to eat.

·
Registered
0 Posts
For thanksgiving at my Mom's I usually bring a package or two of tofurky and heat it up in some hot water, and a package of Hain Vegetarian Chicken style gravy, which I can make quickly in the microwave. There is usually lots of other stuff to eat. At Easter, however, I brought some fake chicken nuggets for my 2 kids (3 and 1 yr) which they munched on while demanding to know the identity of the slices of ham on my little nieces' plates. What was I to say? They're eating a pig? On St. Patrick's day I told my son the corned beef was a cow and my family almost bit my head off. I really don't want our diets to interfere with our enjoyment of family gatherings, so I think I'm going to have to be more proactive in terms of bringing extra dishes.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
usually, i either 1. bring my whole meal or 2 bring enough groceries to cover all of my food for the number of days that i'm going to be whereever i'm going to be.

also, most towns and such have grocery stores, and i'm often able to go grocery shopping as soon as i arrive. for instance, when i visited family in san diego, i went grocery shopping as soon as i arrived. i had more than enough to eat the whole 6 days that i was there.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My mom always makes something that I will eat and I usually take a peanut butter sandwich or something, too.

Even when we visited my aunt and uncle for a week, I didn't find it that hard. They had lots of fruit on hand and I went to the grocery store the first day I was there and bought soy milk and some organic cereal and some veggie sushi. I shared the sushi with my 11 year old cousin and he loved it. So, his mom was pleased b/c he ate more veggies while I was there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts