VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you can relate to these experiences, but I'm not exactly sure how to handle this situation. My sister has known that I'm a vegetarian for about 4 months, (I delayed telling her for nearly a yr in anticipation of her disapproval), however, she didn't seem to mind too much initially. But tonight my mom asked us what she should make for Xmas dinner.. and my sis got so angry with me simply due to the fact that she felt she couldn't suggest any meat dishes. Meanwhile, I had made no negative comments, and am 100% happy to eat sides or make something on my own. But she is just inherently annoyed by the fact that I'm being 'different' and difficult in her mind. So of course this started a fight.. and I'm feeling really bitter about it, because I am happy being a vegetarian, and don't understand why she needs to make it so personal. I'm 19 and she's 23.. and at this rate I'm imagining a lifetime of arguments over this lay ahead of us, because she basically just cannot accept that I am eating differently than everyone else.

This wouldn't bother me if it was anyone other than my sister... I can't exactly ignore or avoid the subject entirely since eating together is unavoidable.
Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to avoid arguments/situations like this, and what I should say to her. Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts