VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you can relate to these experiences, but I'm not exactly sure how to handle this situation. My sister has known that I'm a vegetarian for about 4 months, (I delayed telling her for nearly a yr in anticipation of her disapproval), however, she didn't seem to mind too much initially. But tonight my mom asked us what she should make for Xmas dinner.. and my sis got so angry with me simply due to the fact that she felt she couldn't suggest any meat dishes. Meanwhile, I had made no negative comments, and am 100% happy to eat sides or make something on my own. But she is just inherently annoyed by the fact that I'm being 'different' and difficult in her mind. So of course this started a fight.. and I'm feeling really bitter about it, because I am happy being a vegetarian, and don't understand why she needs to make it so personal. I'm 19 and she's 23.. and at this rate I'm imagining a lifetime of arguments over this lay ahead of us, because she basically just cannot accept that I am eating differently than everyone else.

This wouldn't bother me if it was anyone other than my sister... I can't exactly ignore or avoid the subject entirely since eating together is unavoidable.
Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to avoid arguments/situations like this, and what I should say to her. Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
well, an Xmas dinner is full of various different things anyways, so why not do one large meat dish, and the rest vegetarian/vegan? It's no big

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It can be really hard when you don't run the household and choose the meals. Seeing as it's your sister, maybe you should give her the harsh reality of WHY you are vegetarian? If she thinks you're just being picky, it would be annoying. But knowing about animal cruelty, and the effects on our health and the environment, maybe she will change her opinion? I suggest Forks over Knives as a great starting documentary.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
My sister and I grew up vegetarian but when I went vegan five years ago she acted weird about it. She wasn't angry or anything, just really nervous and weird. She was defensive about not being vegan and annoyed that we couldn't just eat all the same things together anymore. Well, after a few months or so she's completely fine with it. She has come to terms with her level of vegan-ness (which I think is growing) vs. her vegetarian-ness. And there's no more awkwardness between us about it.

But let me tell you, sisters will always find things to argue about. We're constantly arguing about something or other. And we're in our thirties. It's just a part of life. We argue, we make up and move on. Then we argue again... and so on. All I'm saying is that your sister will get over it.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
It may take some time for her to adjust to the "new"you. Sounds like she's feeling some guilt.My family was very accepting because we have quite a few vegans among us, but I do remember my brother's reaction as something like "Aww.. and I was going to grill hamburgers for us!" and looking sooo disappointed. I remember once reading that when those close to us first learn of our change in eating habits, it causes them to have to examine their own and makes them uncomfortable. While we see meat as death, they see it as life and abundance, and may feel as though they're losing a connection with us, and it's not uncommon to encounter hostility. I say just keep your cool and if and when the subject comes up, you could offer to explain why you've made the change, as Limes has suggested. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As this is your first Christmas as a vegetarian, she may just be worried about how your not eating meat will affect the occasion or that the celebration just won't be the same with you not eating the same thing as everyone else. It might help to sit down with her and just talk about how each of you is feeling about the whole situation, to see if the problem can be resolved. It's difficult to try to guess at the reason(s) behind her reaction, so probably just best to ask her about it in a conciliatory way. Although it's her reaction that's caused the problem, you may be the only one to see it like that because she'll probably see it as you causing the problem as you're the one who's changed. Sometimes it's easier just to try to make peace with people, and as ElaineV said, sisters will always find something to argue about. I hope you're able to sort everything out. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
If you're not questioning the menu, what is she upset about?
I say oh wellll... and ask her what it is that really upsetting her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts