VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent ever attempted to make falafels myself, and I am wondering if it is possible to make them with canned chickpeas as uncooked ones are not available where I live and the 2 hour trip I would have to make to get them is not gonna happen soon. Ive heard that its possible but no one has told me how. So Im just wondering if anyone knows what adjustments I would have to make.

Thanks

Ter

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
That's ok. I was going to give you a recipe that Triumvir uses that involves canned chickpeas but you've prolly found it by now.

MMMMMMMM.....falafel

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Hey. There are as many ways to cook falafel as there are to eat it. Here's where you can get some falafel recipes:

http://www.vegweb.com/food/beans/ind...-falafel.shtml

And for other sinterested in cooking falafel, her'es MrFalafel's falafel recipe:

MrFalafel's Falafel

1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in 5 cups of water for 25 hours

1 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup very finely minced onion

2 tablespoons very finely minced parsley

1-teaspoon ground roasted cumin seeds

1 teaspoon ground coriander

2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed to a pulp

Freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon lemon juice

a pinch (or more) of cayenne pepper

Oil for frying

Drain the chickpeas and put them into the container of a good processor or blender. Add the baking soda and salt. Turn the machine on and blend until you have the texture of coarse bread crumbs or fine bulgar wheat. You should NOT have a paste.

Empty the chickpeas into a bowl. Add the onion, parsley, cumin, coriander, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice, and cayenne. Mix gently with a fork. Do not pat down. This mixture should be loose and crumbly.

Put 2 inches of oil in a wok or other utensil for deep frying and set to a heat on a medium-low flame. You need a temperature of 350 to 375 degreesF. While the oil heats, form the first batch of patties. Using a very light touch, form patties that are about 2 1/4 inches in diameter, about 3/4 inch thick in the center and less so at the edges. Do not pat down or try to be too neat. The patties should just about hold together. Put as many patties into the hot oil as the utensil will hold in a single layer. Fry about 4 minutes or until the patties a reddish brown on both sides. Turn at least once during the frying process. When the patties are done, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. do all of the patties this way.

Hopefully, you'll find some way of using canned chickpeas. You'll have to figure out some kind of conversion of how many cans of chickpeas equal so much dried beans, but it shouldn't be too hard. Also, if a recipe calls for salt and you're using canned chickpeas, reduce the amount of salt, as canned beans contain salt anyway. But good luck in your epic quest to make falafel.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My recipes used canned chickpeas. I've made it with dried ones too. You should try it. Everyone who does seems to like it. I'm going to make falafel tonight

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much! You all have been a great help. Im going to attempt this on Sunday so Ill let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I made the falafels from The Everyday Vegan for dinner a couple of nights ago. They were not the best falafels I've ever made though the sauce was delightful (The Prince had put on artichokes before I got home so the sauce did some wonderful double duty). The next day there were plenty of leftovers so we both had them in our lunch. What a difference one night makes! I could not get enough of them the 2nd day. Could hardly wait to get home to scarf down the last of them since it just happened to be "must go down" night.

These BTW were from canned beans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.