VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...

i recently tried falafel at a restaurant and liked it. i tried to make it at home yesterday. i didn't coat the bean balls with anything, and just fried them... i ended up with the things falling apart in the oil. yuck!!

so i tried again today, same mixture, just refrigerated overnight... but this time coated with flour. i kept a good eye on it and the same thing happened! anybody know what might be going wrong?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have only made falafel once and it stayed together really well.

It sounds like your mixture is too dry...maybe add a little water or try a new recipe maybe?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ditto, sassypants.

I just bought the Fantastic Foods brand, and it really WAS fantastic!
You might want to try that, if you're a beginner.

Ok, here's a really dumb question - Do you consider falafel healthy? I mean, I know the mixture has lots of fiber, protein, ect, but can something fried in oil EVER be considered healthy?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by grain_girl

Ok, here's a really dumb question - Do you consider falafel healthy? I mean, I know the mixture has lots of fiber, protein, ect, but can something fried in oil EVER be considered healthy?
A lot of people bake their falafel, too. You can bake it at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until golden. I've never tried it that way, but I hear it's really good.

Maybe you should post the recipe that you're using, obifux. Falafel falling apart means that you've either got too much moisture or not enough. When I make mine, I don't coat them with flour or anything. I just put a bit (maybe 1/8 cup) of flour into the mix and let the whole thing rest for about a half-hour, give or take, before frying them. Typically, you roll them in balls and deep-fry them, but I just shape them into a patty and pan-fry them in a bit of olive oil or canola oil.

Or you can buy the mix but it takes all the fun out of falafel making (IMO).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think frying things in Oil can be healthy. I mean, you never want to overdo anything, but, plant oils are good for you!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I made falafel this week and baked it, and I really enjoyed it! I wasn't sure how good it would taste without all the oil
, but I was certainly happy with the results.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I tried it baked today, and it was wonderful!!
I'll definitely do that in the future, instead of frying. Much healthier. Fried food doesn't really agree with me anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.