VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jennifer and I'm addicted to falafel.

It started 3 weeks ago when I decided to try making it from scratch. It turned out very well. Now that's all I eat. Day in, day out falafel for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My husband is becoming addicted too. Does anyone else suffer from this horrible addiction?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Jenangelcat - have you met Loki??

I confess to never having tried Falafel, but I would like to see if I can become addicted to this legendary food.

Can someone post their recipe?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Here's a falafel recipe:

1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in 5 cups of water for 25 hours

1 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup very finely minced onion

2 tablespoons very finely minced parsley

1-teaspoon ground roasted cumin seeds

1 teaspoon ground coriander

2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed to a pulp

Freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon lemon juice

a pinch (or more) of cayenne pepper

Oil for frying

Drain the chickpeas and put them into the container of a good processor or blender. Add the baking soda and salt. Turn the machine on and blend until you have the texture of coarse bread crumbs or fine bulgar wheat. You should NOT have a paste.

Empty the chickpeas into a bowl. Add the onion, parsley, cumin, coriander, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice, and cayenne. Mix gently with a fork. Do not pat down. This mixture should be loose and crumbly.

Put 2 inches of oil in a wok or other utensil for deep frying and set to a heat on a medium-low flame. You need a temperature of 350 to 375 degreesF. While the oil heats, form the first batch of patties. Using a very light touch, form patties that are about 2 1/4 inches in diameter, about 3/4 inch thick in the center and less so at the edges. Do not pat down or try to be too neat. The patties should just about hold together. Put as many patties into the hot oil as the utensil will hold in a single layer. Fry about 4 minutes or until the patties a reddish brown on both sides. Turn at least once during the frying process. When the patties are done, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. do all of the patties this way.

I love falafel. I'be not yet gotten round to making that recipe, but you can bet that I will soon, now that we've got a food processor. But I get ready made falafel, and stuff it into pitas w/ lettuce & grated carrot. It's divine.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm lazy, I just use the Fantastic Foods box mix. I saw this other boxed mix from a brand called Casbah or something that looked good. I still had some falafel left so I didn't get it.

I make my falafel into patties and fry it in 1 tbsp of oil. It's quite good!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The recipe that I have uses peanut butter as a substitute for tahini, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Oh, and tahini you can usually find in any regular grocery store. Go to the um.. international foods section (you know, where they have all the rice and cans of Goya beans). Actually I think Goya makes tahini. It's in a little can.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i need help with my falafel.

ok i'm a cooking dummy. tonight i tried to make falafel from the fantastic foods mix and it was an utter disaster.

i followed the directions and made it into cute little balls. it looked like a little falafel army all lined up on the plates. but when i started to fry it...well it all stuck to the bottom then proceeded to fall apart until i just had odd brownish green stuff floating around in oil.

needless to say it didn't look very appetizing but i called it falafel crumble and stuck it in a pita with some lettuce anyway. hey, i don't have that much cash. this was my first time trying it and it was actually pretty delicious regardless. it must be divine when it actually works.

so does anyone know why my falafel failed?? i would be deeply grateful for help.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I tried Falafel yesterday. I bought a box of Fantastic Falafel mix at the HFS. If this is any indication of what Falafel taste like I would rather eat my own liver! But I will hold off judgement and try making my own from scratch before giving up on it.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I have to agree with the experiences of those who've bought the packages. I've had falafel once at a saturday market and it was pretty good - granted, it was deep fried, so of *course* it was good!

We've made the Fantastic & Casbah ones a few times, and every time they turn out really dry. I don't deep fry them, though, so that is probably the issue.

I just can't seem to get interested in falafel. Every time I think of it, I get a dry, "need....aqua..." feeling in my mouth.

I think I need to try Loki's recipe

~ amy

lover of chickpeas ... mmmmm, chickpeas...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
wild blackberry- I make my falafel as patties but they still fall apart sometimes. Usually just the first one. After that they're good! I think it's like pancakes, how the first batch is never very good. But if you do make patties slide them around the pan with the spatula on top, it helps them stick together better. Also don't make the whole box at once for just yourself, the last time i did it lasted a week and a half!

I don't think falafel is too try with the mix. But then again I add a little extra water and let it sit for less time than they recommend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
well that's interesting...

i had thought that I had never had falafel, and I always somehow thought it was made with tofu. but now after reading all this I'm SURE i've had falafel, lots of times, but didnt know it. I like them but I also think they are kinda dry. never made my own though. I've seen the mixes in the store and wasnt really sure what I was supposed to mix it with, so maybe i'll brave it out and make some.... maybe....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts